PDA

View Full Version : Toddler sized dishware?

jojo2324
02-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Anything WITHOUT some hideous depiction of some cartoon character??? I just want some plain old plates, bowls, cups, etc, just PLAIN! Smaller sized, unbreakable stuff. We've decided that we're going to start having Gannon eat with us at the table, IN A CHAIR! (Well, on a booster.) Whoo hoo. My little baby...

We were at Target today. I looked at their line of "fun" (picnic?) stuff, but it was all really fruity and too big for him to use. We ended up getting some SpongeBob set, since I have laughed at the show on occasion.

Also, placemats? I think I'll check out my local toy store tomorrow, maybe they have some with maps of the USA and world on it like I had.

egoldber
02-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Sarah's "toddler-ware" is actually Target picnic stuff. I use the lunch size plates as opposed to the dinner plates and they work great for her. The bowls were too deep for her though.

I have found that a great size bowl is the Ziploc brand "one cup size" bowl.

http://www.ziploc.com/container.asp

HTH,

brubeck
02-17-2004, 09:34 PM
There are some nice plates and bowls from LE that are inexpensive and shatterproof. Amy loves them!

http://www.landsend.com/cd/ov/prod/0,1467,2_17273_17280_43145_86436_64883_,00.html?si d=8745066797670108010

The bowls are a little big, but useable and the 9" plates are perfect.

raynjen
02-17-2004, 10:11 PM
You might try a Linens'n'Things or Bed, Bath, & Beyond, especially for the placemats. We have 100 yen stores (something like a dollar store, but MUCH higher quality stuff) over here that have an awesome selection of exactly what you are looking for. Their dishes are made specifically for sushi and such so are subdivided just like a toddler plate.

If you are interested (and are willing to wait on shipping) I could go out and get some sets. They have everything from simple translucent colors, to picnic plaids, to your "typical" asian black and red sushi sets. All are microwave and dishwasher safe plastic, and come in a variety of shapes (rectangles, square, round, shallow bowls, deep bowls).

We recently got my daughter a couple of Hanny sets (a cute little fuzzy creature - maybe a chipmonk?) that say "Hello! My Friend just listen to my voice inside your heart Hello my friend I'll be always with you Whatever it takes or how my heart breaks." Grammatical errors inclusive. The Japanese like having American sayings on their stuff (t-shirts, plates, bags, etc.), but they translate thing to Japanese and then back again without regard for grammer, punctuation, or capitalization. The end result is very Zen

Yay! It's nice to find something that is actually easier to get over here! Now, if we could just get a Barnes and Nobles...

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

P.S. I attached a photo of the set we got my daughter, it cost me 210 yen (about $2.00).

egoldber
02-17-2004, 11:42 PM
OK, that is SOOOOO cute!!! DH goes to Japan 2-3 times a year, I may have to have him hunt down one of these stores! I NEED Hanny! :)

Karenn
02-18-2004, 12:13 AM
Colin uses the Target picnic dishes too, luncheon size plates. My only complaint is that the set that I have is NOT microwavable. I stuck it in the microwave once without thinking and it got incredibly hot! Other than that, it works great.

newbelly2002
02-18-2004, 08:28 AM
We bought the Baby Bjorn plate. It doesn't have comparments, but the sides are super toddler friendly and it is both microwave and dishwasher (sigh, if only...) safe--I think. It's just a straight red or blue edge and white interior. It also separates (the rim from the main plate)for easier cleaning. It is a little pricey, but, frankly, we've been using it since 10 months interchanging with only one other bowl so it has certainly been a workhorse and stood up to the test. I also like that the bottom, although white, has not stained at all: no tomato sauce, carrots, etc. It's still (gasp!) white.

Here's a link to a picture of it.

http://tinyurl.com/22j2j

Hope that helps.
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

caleymama
02-18-2004, 11:19 AM
We've been using a plastic plate that I got at WalMart for $0.68 - they had 3 or four different solid colors and it's a little smaller than our regular luncheon size plates (okay, I just measured and it's 7 1/2 inches across). They have a shallow rim around the outside and so far it's been perfect. They also have bowls, cups, divided dishes, and plastic silverware and it's all SO cheap. They're located in near the Rubbermaid kitchen stuff and there were some pre-packaged kids dishes right there too. Like you, though, we didn't want Barbie or Bob the Builder or whatever else I've been able to find. We also have a set of plastic plates from Ikea that are solid colors and are flower shaped, but I think they were really inexpensive (my Mom got them for us).

jojo2324
02-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks so much!! Those are all great suggestions! Jen, those plates are to die for, and with the grammatical errors...Well, I'm sold. :) We are heading into NYC in a few weeks, so I might check out Chinatown for something similar. In any event, I know they carry all of the character dishware for a much cheaper price than Target. (I think.) Maybe they have Elmo...For some reason I don't have any problem with Elmo...

But Jen, I might take you up on your offer if I don't find anything state side. Thanks again!

Oh, and he LOVES sitting at the table. We didn't even bother with the booster. He's eating a snack from his SpongeBob plate right now. I'm hoping the change in location might spur some less finicky eating habits, but I won't hold my breath. :D

redhookmom
02-18-2004, 02:27 PM
We have some from IKEA that are nice. Walmart has lots of placemats. We curently have a dinosaur one on the table. I have seen the USA map there.

egoldber
02-18-2004, 09:53 PM
OK, I am just giddy! Someone in DH's office is going to Japan next week and is going to look for Hanny or something similar for me! (DH works for a Japanese company if you haven't guessed. :) ) Gotta love DH. He had the Japanese speaking assistant in his office searching Japanese websites for me today! LOL!

MelissaTC
02-20-2004, 06:46 AM
Wal-Mart!

I bought Matthew 2 plastic plates for like $0.88 each. They also have an Elmo set...

jojo2324
02-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Thank you!!! I've kind of got this thing against Wal-Mart. I dunno, we were there around Christmas and I just thought it was disgusting. It was so dirty!! Honestly, smelled like a NYC subway station. Grossssss. Their commercials don't seem accurate...But, for Elmo plates...I think I'll have to chance it. :) Anything for my boy!

Who, btw, is picking up signs left and right! He's been doing cookie for a while, but just now walked over to me doing it. I said, "No sweetie, no cookies now. It's too early." But then I realized that Cookie Monster was on Sesame Street! How cute is that? I would have given him a cookie if I had any...:D

And Beth, I just wanted to say thank you for introducing me to signs! I had heard of it before, but seeing your success with Sarah, and all the success stories that followed, really made it click for me. Thanks!

raynjen
02-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Don't know if you like Pooh or Hello Kitty, but those are the two most common characters here, you can even get toasters, blenders, and cars (!) in Hello Kitty. I found the most adorable Pooh placemats and dishware at a 100 yen store yesterday and thought about you guys!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

P.S. they also have foam puzzles at the 100 yen stores of abc's and numbers. DD loves foam puzzles (I do too, there is something so satisfactory about fitting the pieces in) and I found very few in the states.

Momof3Labs
02-23-2004, 11:28 PM
I was going to suggest Ikea, too! Colin got a set from Ikea for Christmas.

khakismom
02-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Our tableware has come from Walmart and Target--I just buy the cheapest plastic I can find. I've also found these "toddler plates" in the baby section at Osco that have 3 plates to a package. I picked up 2 packages of those and they became Kathleen's main plate (I wish I could remember the manufacturer). I just recently got placemats for a buck each (picked up 3) at WM too. They are Sesame Street and one is about colors, one is about numbers, and the other is about letters. They are reversible and Kathleen LOVES them. Insists on picking one out each meal.

When they put out their summer picnic ware, Target always sells placemats with it too.

caleymama
02-24-2004, 12:36 PM
If you're still on the lookout for plates, I'd be happy to pick up some of the solid colored WalMart stuff for you and stick it in the mail. We've got a WM about 5 minutes away and it's not gross like some of them can be! I know you've got your hands full and it seems like Caley and I are there a couple of times a week. PM if you're interested, okay?