PDA

View Full Version : Do you give your toddler vitamins?

trumansmom
02-21-2004, 02:52 PM
If so, what kind? Is two too young for chewables? Or are they still considered a choking hazard?

I've been a little concerned that DS's toddler diet has gotten out of hand lately. Too much PBJ and fish sticks, not enough green anything.

***Edited because I misspelled "toddler" - TWICE!!! Blame it on mommy brain!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

brubeck
02-21-2004, 07:01 PM
I've been giving my kids vitamins since they were starting solids. I figured once they started relying on things other than breastmilk or formula for nutrition I was bound to screw up so I look at it as my 'insurance'. I give Andrew the liquid Gerber vitamins and Amy got the same until she was 3. At 3 she started the kiddie chewable vitamins.

She probably could have gone to the chewable ones at 30 months, but I held off just in case. I suepect it depends on the individual child. How good is Truman at chewing small candies and such? If he can munch on a Sweettart then he can probably do a chewable vitamin.

Amy loves the chewable vitamins so much she actually reminds me to give them to her every day!

em_jon98
02-21-2004, 11:17 PM
They have gummy vitamins now, in addition to the normal children's chewables. They might be a bit safer for a younger child (sort of like the packaged fruit snacks, which my 20 month old plows through when DH indulges her.)

raynjen
02-22-2004, 07:47 PM
My DD has been taking vitamins since she turned 2 - My First Flinstones which is made specifically for 2 to 3 year olds. The pediatrician okay'd it because she said that they are finding toddlers aren't getting enough vitamin D! It seems that parents are being so careful about sun exposure that a lot of kids are D deficient. I don't know if this is mainly kids who don't get milk or if milk doesn't contain enough D. Like you, I worried that DD's bizarre eating habits wouldn't keep up with her growing needs.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

mominma
02-23-2004, 10:58 AM
We started teh My First Flintstones recently after my son turned 3. The only hard thing is trying to remind him he can only have one a day. My ped. said any of the children's vitamins were fine.

Melissa
DS 9/00
DD 3/03

kristine_elen
02-27-2004, 11:58 AM
I give Jack Poly Vi Sol (not sure on spelling). Available at Target and many drug stores, it's made by one of the formula makers. It's liquid, so you just squirt it in his mouth. I give him a squirt every few days, just to make myself feel better about his nutritional intake.

August Mom
02-27-2004, 12:38 PM
On the advice of our ped, we started giving DS 1/2 a children's chewable vitamin each day, starting at 15 months. He has no problem chewing them and actually likes to take them.

JElaineB
02-27-2004, 05:18 PM
August Mom, what brand do you use?

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02