PDA

View Full Version : Learning Tower

Musicmom
03-22-2004, 01:55 AM
Has anyone bought the Learning Tower (or seen one in person)? I'm interested in getting one so my 2 yo can stand at the kitchen counter and "helP. It's in One Step Ahead catalong but I think you can buy it direct from manufacturer. Rubberwood platform with 4 sides, height adjustable-can also use as a desk, fort, or puppet theater.
thanks for any comments
Katie
we have ceramic tile floor in kitchen

redhookmom
03-22-2004, 02:35 AM
I have been thinking about getting one of those. I would love to get some input so I hoping some other Moms respond.

The least expensive place to order one on-line that I have found is:
http://hwt.zoovy.com/c=xsq5L8LOfeAbQ2DILbaSC2VYk/product/G97270
$137. with free shipping.

cara1
03-22-2004, 02:30 PM
I remember somebody somewhere on this or the BBB raving about it. Did you do a search?

Musicmom
03-24-2004, 07:32 PM
First time I searched archives found 0, but tried yesterday and found a bunch of posts.
The only negative anyone had was the large size.
I don't think it'll be a problem in our kitchen. Looks to me like it would fold flat for storage, disassembled.
So based on those posts I'm buying one and thanks for replies, esp the no shipping!
I'll post again after it arrives.
Katie
son 2 into "helping"

kalebsmama
03-25-2004, 12:08 AM
We got one a couple of months ago and LOVE it! DS likes to "help" at the kitchen counter and is sometimes more willing to try new foods if he has helped to make it. We had been considering it when DS fell off a dining room chair that he was standing on at the counter. DH looked at me and said "go ahead and order one"! Now Kaleb shouts "go get tower!" whenever I'm cooking and he wants to help!

We also put it in front of the computer and he can stand there and play this Elmo game he likes. Another use is when I'm cooking, I can put it at the counter out of my way and he stands there and plays with his playdough. He likes to roll it out on the counter and then uses cookie cutters to make shapes. Sometimes he'll color too, or his favorite thing is to stand at the sink and play with the water! This has really helped at dinner time since I can keep an eye on him, and having me or DH right there keeps him from getting clingy. It is so much easier to get dinner ready. Of course when he's actually "helping" it takes a little longer!

It is kind of big - we have a fairly small kitchen so we have to move it out of the way when we aren't using it. Actually, if he's standing on it, I just slide it over when I need into a drawer or something!

Oh, we have a laminate floor in the kitchen and hardwood in the dining room where we often keep it between uses. We ended up putting felt strips on the bottom to protect the wood floor. It seemed smooth enough, but our floors just got refinished and we wanted to be careful. It slides really nice with the felt though!

Sounds like you already ordered one, but I wanted to leave this review for others that may be interested. Hope you enjoy yours!

NancyP
03-31-2004, 08:19 PM
We are the retailer linked to above. Our prices have dropped again, down to $132.50 with free shipping :) We would be willing to improve the price if anybody was willing to put together a "group buy". Also, we are in the beginning stages in setting up a system for people to earn $ for a referral program. (ie. You refer freinds/day care centers/ other parents or grandparents, and we will give a cash bonus for each sale we make because of your referral). We love the Learning Tower for our sons! Our 2 1/2 year old and 4 1/2 year old are able climb up and help us with all manners of projects. It really opens up a new world for them. You can always find the Learning Tower at: http://hwt.zoovy.com/product/G97270 or http://www.heirloomwoodentoys.com/product/G97270

Thank you,

Nancy

naomi01
04-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Is anyone interested in a group buy? I am looking for a solution to my 16 month old screaming every night as I try to make dinner... he is perfectly happy to watch if I hold him on my hip, but my back wears out! This sounds like a good idea.

Naomi
DS 12/02/02

naomi01
04-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Is anyone interested in a group buy? I am looking for a solution to my 16 month old screaming every night as I try to make dinner... he is perfectly happy to watch if I hold him on my hip, but my back wears out! This sounds like a good idea.

Naomi
DS 12/02/02

raynjen
04-01-2004, 08:00 PM
I think I would be interested - I am waiting to hear back from Nancy as to the shipping costs to Okinawa (no free shipping here :)). That would make or break the deal for me...

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

Musicmom
04-02-2004, 02:30 AM
It's me again. I checked the Heirloom Wooden Toys website and bought the tower a couple of days after my original post. Their customer service is great. I got emails confirming my order, letting me know when it shipped, etc. Today it came (4/1). It took me 15 minutes to assemble and my son LOVES it. Of course now we have to remove all the no-no's from the counter.
The size overall is about that of one of our kitchen chairs. In the photo they show 2 kids standing on it, they must be skinny kids! We have ceramic tile floors and it pushes easily. Also seems like it would be stable enough for an early stander to pull up on. No sharp edges...our son loves to make tunnels with chairs/blankets and he's going to have loads of fun with this.
Katie
son 2.0 yrs

NancyP
04-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Concerning the "group buy". We have set up a special "Windsor Peak Forums" page http://www.heirloomwoodentoys.com/product/G97270GSPEC for you guys! There is no need for a minimum # of orders. This is just a special price for forum members and friends.

Have a great day!

Nancy Politis

supercalifragilous
06-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Nancy,
Would you be willing to do a price match with babycenter?

http://store.babycenter.com/product/gear/highchairs_and_booster_seats/4112

candybomiller
06-22-2004, 10:42 PM
With the oversize charge from babycenter, it's a better deal to order from Nancy who has free shipping.

August Mom
06-23-2004, 01:20 AM
If you go through Ebates, it is a bit cheaper to buy from Baby Center. Through midnight 6/24, there is 10% off the $119.96 price.

Melanie
06-25-2004, 09:54 PM
I so want one of these! You ladies are tempting me, and we're getting our kitchen redone next week so finally I'll be enjoying spending time in there.

How long do those of you who have one think before your children outgrow it either in size or usefulness?

McQ
06-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Nancy (heirloomtoys) has dropped the price to $123 for us. And that's with free shipping. I just ordered one for Declan. Thanks for the idea; I think he's going to love it. Happy shopping.

http://www.heirloomwoodentoys.com/product/G97270gspec

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

NancyP
07-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Hello Melanie,

I wnated to answer your question about how long it would be useful for. My two sons do fit on it at the same time. It is a little tight but they manage. They are 2 1/2 and 4 1/2. I think they will be using it for a while still. My older son is still working comfortably at the highest step.
There are two more levels under that. Plenty of growing space.

We use it up to 8 times a day! We also have a tile floor and even the 2 year old pushes it up to the counter :)
Nancy