PDA

View Full Version : dropping food off the side of the tray

sntm
06-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Any advice? It's not just when he is done eating, as he will frequently return to the tray after it is placed on the floor to share with the cat :( I've tried putting a hand on his arm and telling him firmly that he should not do that and if he does it I will take the tray away. I took it away last night and he got pist and then I returned it and he ate several bites more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

peanut4us
06-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Shannon--I was going to start my own thread similar to this... now that my little girl has got attitude and is a PITA to feed! She throws food off her tray the instant she gets her tray. And we've no animals that she is trying to "feed"! She's hardly eating anything. We've tried taking her out of her chair as soon as she starts throwing (which is usually before the first bite of food!) and she freaks because she is hugnry.

Someone help!

Momof3Labs
06-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Time outs worked for us! I posted this on the baby board, too, and there are other suggestions there to check out. Don't you just love toddlerhood??

Drews Mom
06-17-2004, 12:03 AM
We are going through the same thing with my 17-month old. I have had two people tell me (one a school social worker) to have my son eat on the floor. They both said it worked wonders for their kids and it only took two (very long) meals to break them of the habit. I haven't tried it yet, but was very tempted tonight when his sippy cup went flying and some melon hit the wall!

egoldber
06-22-2004, 04:37 PM
I would suggest time out or else removing the food when he throws it. Even if he isn't done eating, take the food away and no more until the next meal. One or two meals of that may do the trick. And its worth a shot.

HTH,

supercalifragilous
06-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Our speech therapist (who does the feeding eval) said that DD (now 14 months) is just doing this for attention, negative or positive. She just likes the reaction. She advised us not to react to it b/c a reaction would just give her what she wants. She said at this stage it's really a control issue and disciplining her would just make it worse (by giving her the attention she's wanting) and besides, she won't understand the "why" part of the discipline anyways.

We did this (ignored her) and she doesn't do it nearly as much. She still occasionally tests us and I see her dropping things off to test gravity sometimes (just to watch it fall) but we can't blame her for that....