PDA

View Full Version : Toddler food weirdness

JElaineB
06-30-2004, 08:13 PM
I had always heard toddlers can be picky about how their food is prepared or presented to them, but now I'm actually experiencing it for myself!

I am sure I could come up with some other examples, but the latest is that DS will not eat a banana if the peel has a sticker on it (like a Chiquita sticker). If I hand him a banana (partly peeled) with a sticker on it, he peels off the sticker first and hands it to me before he will eat the banana. Somehow, having a sticker on the banana bothers him!

So what kinds of food weirdness does your toddler exhibit?

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

lisams
07-01-2004, 01:00 AM
How funny! DD is wierd about her cup - when she is in her highchair she likes to have her cup there too. If she gets any food on the bottom she says "wipe, wipe, wipe" and won't put it down until I wipe the bottom of it. Drives me crazy!

Lisa

August Mom
07-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Not only will DS not eat a banana with a sticker, but he will only eat a banana in the peel. If I take it out of the peel or slice it or whatever, he won't eat it. And, he won't eat broken crackers. He loves Honey Graham Sticks, but he only eats the whole ones. Any partial ones go back in the snack cup. The same is true for other snacks.

JElaineB
07-02-2004, 12:37 AM
What is it with our kids and bananas? :)

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB
07-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Oh, that reminds me of another one for DS - he HATES having any crumbs at all on his hands. He makes me wipe them off (on my shirt if necessary) if he has anything on his hands at all. At least he's not chanting "wipe, wipe, wipe" yet though! He just holds them out and makes a whiny noise until I clean them.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Momof3Labs
07-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Colin will only eat a banana if he can break off the top (I peel it for him) and hold it himself. He likes the sticker, it usually ends up on his tummy. He will NOT eat anything that you break or cut in front of him - you have to do it before giving it to him or not at all. My SIL learned that one the hard way last week, and she also learned that trying to "stick" the food back together doesn't cut it. The damage is already done.

Colin also does not like most green foods. Even green grapes, though he'll eat red grapes like they are going out of style.

I guess that those aren't too weird, but it is interesting learning the new "rules" of toddler mealtime, which happen to change at every meal!