PDA

View Full Version : When to introduce peanut butter and shellfish?

nigele
07-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Tom recently turned two and I've been wondering what the guidelines were for introducing both peanut butter and shellfish. Does anyone know? TIA!

egoldber
07-07-2004, 11:10 AM
The surrent AAP guidelines are to wait until age 3 if there is a family history of any type of allergy, not just food allergies.

We have a history, so I am waiting until Sarah is 3, and even then I honestly don't feel any great need to give her either.

sntm
07-09-2004, 11:37 AM
I think it's 2 for shellfish, but I can't remember. It's killing me to wait for that one, since I love shellfish, but it would be worse in the long run to deal with the allergy. So, no crab cakes or shrimp pasta for a while.

And ditto Beth on the peanuts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

mec
09-14-2004, 03:50 PM
We found out that DD had a milk & egg allergy at 12 mo. after massive swelling (eyes almost swollen shut) & rash. The allergist told us the guidelines for nuts & shellfish is 3 yrs. old. I thought she meant for everyone, but maybe she did mean since there now is a history (neither DH nor myself have food allergies). Anyway we think she's outgrown the egg & hopefully she'll soon outgrow the milk, but just like Beth said I'm not going to be in any hurry to introduce nuts & shellfish, even once she's 3. I don't want any more reactions where I'm scared she'll stop breathing. Also, I don't think you outgrow a nut allergy, like you can with milk & eggs.

Mary
DD 10/02

mattysmom
09-16-2004, 02:06 PM
We think DS might have some sort of nut allergy so we're waiting on all nuts until at least 2, but at our 18 month appt. our ped. told us it was okay to try shellfish and ds has tried some shrimp and loves it! (we have no food allergies in our family)