PDA

View Full Version : How to get a picky 2 yr old to try new foods?

Chelsey333
07-27-2004, 04:27 PM
My 2 year olds diet is not very good. He refuses to try new foods and eats a lot of the same foods over and over again. How can I get him to try stuff? He cries if I offer him ice cream! On Easter Sunday, he cried when I handed him some M&Ms. He won't eat cheese, but will eat grilled cheese. I have tried sticking a slice of ham into the grill cheese, but he won't eat it. He eats peanut butter & jelly, grilled chz, tomatoes, any kind of fruit, cereal, hot dogs, chicken fingers, yogurt, and applesauce. That is pretty much it. I made chicken and broccoli the other night, gave him a couple tiny pcs of chix and broc, he cried. I didn't force him to eat it, I asked him to try it. I told him if he didn't like the taste I would get him something else - but he just cried and cried. Then I got him something he likes (after about 20 min.) and he just kept crying. I wasn't mad at him, I just asked him to give it a try - and it thru him into a major temper tantrum. He just turned 2. Any help would be great!

egoldber
07-27-2004, 05:52 PM
I don't know if it helps, but it sound totally normal to me. :)

The only thing you can do is continue to offer him new foods. Don't give up after one or two tries. Studies show that it can up 15-20 offerings of a food before a kid will eventually accept a new food. But I think it is very normal for kids to be very picky. Its all about independence and them feeling a need to exert some authority.

HTH,

jubilee
08-05-2004, 03:48 AM
A while ago I read a book that talked about this in depth, "Dr. Paula's good nutrition guide for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers" by Dr. Paula Elbirt-Bender. I thought it would be a good source of info for toddlers, however I thought it really lacked for baby info (which is what I was looking for). I found it at my library, maybe it could be helpful to you.

christic
08-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Your son's probably a bit too young for this right now, but my 3 yo nephew is a very picky eater and they started a big chart in his playroom for new foods he tries. It has a picture on one side and then X's marking whether he likes or doesn't like something. It's kind of made it into a game and takes off the pressure a bit since he can see it's ok not to like something...he still gets the big X.

Good luck!