PDA

View Full Version : Any BFed toddlers not wanting milk (cow's or EBM) from cup?

sntm
08-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Jack drinks only a few ounces of EBM at daycare now. He'll drink water often, whenever anyone offers. He still nurses lots at home and on weekends. He's shown no interest in my glasses of cow's milk either.

Weird? I'm not worried, but since he is skinny, I'd like him to drink something with calories. He eats well, too, though. It's just hard for me to pour out the leftover EBM at the end of the day.

ETA: It's more a problem of him prefering to wait to get home and nurse. He used to drink a lot from the sippies, but not as much anymore. Now, it's there, he can drink it, he used to drink it, he just doesn't.

Maybe it's not a problem since he nurses a lot at home, and he will drink more from cups when he weans. We have tons of EBM and I still pump once a day, so it's not a matter of low supply of EBM -- just offends my waste-not-want-not sensibilities!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 13 months and counting

jlcana
08-02-2004, 03:52 PM
No, not weird at all! I BF DS for 14 months and he would never drink more than an once of EBM from anyone-me, DH, Grandma. He is now 28 months and will rarely drink more than about 8 oz of regular milk a day. So I get to fortify his milk with non-fat powdered milk, sprinkle it in his cereal and oatmeal and push a lot of yogurt! It's very fustrating because I don't know of any other toddlers/kids that don't like milk! Even putting chocolate or strawberry syrup in milk doesn't always help, not that I think I should have to sweeten his milk to get him to drink it.

I like to think that DS liked breastmilk so much, regular milk can't compare! I know exactly what you are going through. I also thought that maybe he didn't like regular milk because I can't drink it and he didn't get to "taste" it while I was pregnant or BF'ing.

Sneak in the calcium anyway you can unless Jack eats a lot of yogurt or cheese. DS' favorite drink is ice water in sippy cup-if the ice has melted, he'll ask me for "fresh water"!

Lisa
Christopher 3/18/02
Another boy EDD 9/22/04

Momof3Labs
08-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Colin was VERY slow to take milk from a cup, even though he was self-weaning. It took a few months of offering a sippy of a little bit of milk at EVERY meal before he really took to it. The trick? We spiked his milk with a bit of orange juice. Then we gradually reduced the proportions until he was drinking all milk. Of course, it didn't help that we found out that Colin was lactose intolerant - one more thing to worry about.

sntm
08-03-2004, 05:42 PM
He's a total cheese-head, luckily, so i'm not terribly worried about calcium. We eat a lot of canned salmon too.

I just wish he would drink more EBM from his sippies. I was totally cool with continuing to pump for a while, but it seems like a bit of a waste of time. Oh well, a couple of ounces is better than nothing, right?
shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

sntm
08-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Lori, every time I read that I think of the movie Heathers -- have you seen that? Milk + OJ -- yuck! But then again, Jack used to eat peas + yogurt. Ugh.
shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Momof3Labs
08-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Haven't seen Heathers, but I did try the combo. It tasted like a creamsicle!

nitaghei
08-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Shannon,

It took Neel several months (after the inital few weeks when he would do it) to drink milk from a sippy. Even now he only drinks about 4-6 oz in a day. He does get some more milk in the cold cereal he shares with Daddy in the morning- maybe 1 or 2 oz.

Now this is what's seriously weird. He will drink only chocolate milk in the 4 oz Avent bottle converted into a sippy. It HAS to be that - he won't drink it out of any other cup. He will drink plain milk from a regular cup - but that obviously isn't an option for weekdays. What's really strange is that he won't drink chocolate milk from a regular cup; it has to be plain milk. He started drinking milk on a regular basis maybe 3 weeks ago.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

nigele
08-06-2004, 10:27 PM
It took Tom a looong time to come around to drinking cow's milk. He's still not a big fan. (He likes the good stuff!) ;-)

nigele
08-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Gasp! I wish I knew this trick - I had to spike Tom's milk with chocolate to get him to drink it!!

cinrein
08-18-2004, 12:13 PM
Shannon,

It took Anna a long time to get used to breastmilk in a sippy. She was doing great with water, but I guess didn't realize she could get other liquids from a sippy. She doesn't drink juice (just because she doesn't like it and I didn't push it). After dumping too many ounces of EBM down the drain, I resorted to using those free cans of formula for Anna to "practice" drinking milk from a sippy. I'd put about 4 ounces in (I think you need at least that so they don't have to angle the cup back so far) and switched over to EBM once she was reliably drinking at least 2 ounces of it. Once she got the milk from a sippy concept, she had no trouble at all going to cow's milk. We never really used bottles.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

houseof3boys
08-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Ryan doesn't like milk either! We tried Lori's way but now he won't drink it. We tried vanilla soymilk mixed with whole milk too and he did that for about two days. Mind you, he has never had more than a cup of milk a day. Now every morning, he gets half Yo baby and half milk and he tolerates it. I have been trying to give it to him throughout the day too (with only a splash of yo baby) but he won't really drink it. We have also tried a little Nestle Quik and he didn't really take to that either.

My problem is that he hates cheese (can you imagine? :))so I struggle everyday trying to get him to eat calcium rich foods.

I am sure that eventually Jack will drink it, but you might just have to try a few combinations and then wean him off of those with more milk in the concoction!

jlcana
08-18-2004, 03:25 PM
That's too funny-Chris hates cold cheese only. It must be melted in a sandwich or scrambled eggs but how much can you serve grilled cheese and scrambled eggs? Chris drinks between 8-10 oz milk a day, so I fortify it with a few spoons of Sanalac powdered milk. This brand has more calcium than Carnation. Will Ryan drink calcium fortified OJ? We've had some luck with that.

We also try Yoplait custard yogurt(more calc than regular) with extra fruit mixed in, Nutrigrain fruit/cereal bars, broccoli cheese soup that I add more broc and cheese and sprinking powdered milk into oatmeal or tomato soup made with milk. Isn't it amazing what we do to make sure our kids eat right??

Lisa
Christopher 3/18/02
Another boy EDD 9/20/04