PDA

View Full Version : Giving up the bottle

suzette
08-06-2004, 04:21 PM
Help! My daugher is 22 months and she will not give up the bottle! She gets a bottle of milk in the morning and at night. She doesn't like juice so her only other beverage is water. She's never been wild about sippy cups, she prefers a regular cup or a water bottle. The problem is she will not drink milk out of anything but the bottle. I tried giving her the bottle without a nipple on it, but she won't have it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Suzette

luvbeinmama
08-08-2004, 02:23 AM
Sorry, no advice, but DS took a morning & eve bottle with formula until age 2 and soymilk until 2 yrs 8 mos when we moved him to his big boy bed. The bottle went out the window with the morning & evening routine change when he switched. He had no problems giving it up at that point. I suppose it was pure laziness & wanting to keep up the "baby" routines that I let him have it for so long.

JElaineB
08-09-2004, 01:16 AM
I just got DS off the bottle about a month ago at 21 months. But he was losing interest in it, anyway, so it wasn't a big deal at that point. If it is a big deal to your DD, I personally don't see the harm in continuing for now. I think milk is a better beverage for toddlers, anyway, though DS has just now started to want some oj in the mornings. My opinion only, but I do not think bottles are any worse for oral development than sippy cups, as long as she is not sucking on them all day long or having it in bed with her.

We actually transitioned off the bottle somewhat slowly. At first he got a straw cup of milk at the baby sitter's at lunch once a week for a few weeks. Then his grandmother started giving him milk in sippy cups at lunch twice a week and he didn't want much more out of the bottle. Then a couple weeks later we decided to just switch to sippy cups at home for milk instead of bottles. After a couple of days he didn't seem to miss them and I put the bottles away. But I will say now he IS drinking quite a bit less milk most days than he did with the bottle. I keep forgetting to give him milk with meals though (usually give it after lunch/before nap and after dinner/before bed) and I think it might help if I give it with meals instead of after when he is already full.

Have you tried the Nuby sippy cups that have the big silicone soft spout on them? They are $1.47 each at Walmart and come in a 2 pack for about $3.50 at Target. We are using them now for milk (2 times a day) and they are very similar to bottles in look and sucking action. Maybe she wouldn't mind those? Have you tried straw cups? DS drinks water out of those but will drink milk out of them too sometimes.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02