PDA

View Full Version : corn on the cob

lisams
08-09-2004, 05:50 PM
So last night at the grandparent's house they were serving corn on the cob. I started cutting it off the cob for DD and she got upset with me, so I gave her the cob and she absolutely loved it! She did a great job getting the corn off, I was surprised!

So my question is, how do you prepare corn on the cob, do you just peel of the stalk and it's ready to go, how do you warm it? My parents who were both raised in Kansas would be so ashamed of me asking this!

Lisa

jlcana
08-09-2004, 06:57 PM
All I do is put the cleaned ear into boiling water for 5-10 minutes. It needs about 5 minutes to cool off so DS can eat it. He ate his first cob at about 18 months, I was surprised too.

The only thing is, it's not too pleasant when it comes out the other end if he eats a lot!:p

Lisa
Christopher 3/18/02
Another boy EDD 9/20/04

Karenn
08-09-2004, 07:37 PM
I shuck the corn and wrap each ear in wax paper. I microwave it for about 2 min per ear and it turns out great!

christic
08-09-2004, 09:25 PM
I boil it for 6 minutes. A few teaspoons of sugar in the water help make it extra sweet. Alice though will just eat it raw :P. She was "helping" me shuck corn last night and just bit into one of the ears. I took a bite too and it wasn't so bad--but much better cooked! I'm also surprised by how well she can get the corn off the cob on her own.

JElaineB
08-11-2004, 05:27 PM
I also do the boiling method - I boil mine for 5-10 minutes. Less is fine, but I don't worry about exactly how long it is in there. I wish DS liked it though, our neighbor grew some and brought over a ton of it the other day and DS was scared of the cobs!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

lisams
08-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Wow, sounds pretty easy, that's my kind of "cooking"! Thanks for the help everyone!

Lisa

sntm
08-19-2004, 12:45 PM
Joy of Cooking recommends boiling just long enough to heat it, so a minute or two. It's crunchier than I'm used to but just as good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 14 months and counting

August Mom
08-24-2004, 12:43 AM
I do the same as Karen. I also spray each ear with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. For DS, I cut his ear in half so it's easier to handle.

fauve01
08-31-2004, 03:05 PM
here we shuck and put into boiling water then let stay in the water for three minutes. as soon as sthe color change to a darker/brighter yellow it's done. really doesn't take long at all.

another super super yummy way is to soak cobs, with greens and silks and all in a sink full of water for a while (10-20 minutes). then wrap completely in tinfoil (it's ok if they're dripping when you put them into the foil) then throw on the grill for about 30-40 min. the corn steams in the husks. when you take the foil off, the greens will come off super easily (toughest part is holding them when they're so hot!) and the corn is DELICIOUS!!

MaryM
09-27-2004, 12:15 AM
Here's a total no-brainer method. We just put the entire ear of corn (in the husk and all) in the microwave, for 4-6 minutes. Then stop the cooking, and let the corn steam itself right in it's own husk for an additional 6 minutes or so. I used to do this all the time in the work world for lunch.