PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for Rice Casseroles?

MartiesMom2B
08-09-2004, 06:04 PM
I've discovered that Martie likes rice (for now at least). Does anyone have some recipes for any rice casseroles that hopefully includes vegetables?

TIA!!
Sonia http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character03.gif
Proud Mommy to Martie
http://lilypie.com/baby2/030406/3/4/3/+10/.png

mom2kandj
08-09-2004, 06:31 PM
I know you asked for rice and veggies, but this is as close as we get! DS loves rice *wet* at mexican restaurants. Basically, it is rice with enchilada sauce and melted cheese on top. I then mix it up and cool it down as melted cheese burns! DS also likes fried rice, but the bits of veggies get pushed to the side! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

August Mom
08-24-2004, 12:47 AM
I love this rice dish. It has tomatoes and chickpeas for some added nutrition. :)

Baked Rice with Chickpeas

3 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chickpeas, rinsed & drained
1 teaspoon paprika
pinch saffron (optional)
1 cup medium-grain rice
salt
black pepper, freshly ground

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2. In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth just to a boil over moderately high heat.

3. In a small, oven-safe casserole, heat the oil. Add the garlic and stir over moderate heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes, chickpeas, paprika and saffron and bring to a simmer.

4. Stir in the rice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the hot chicken broth and bring to a simmer over moderate heat.

5. Cover the casserole and bake for about 15 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is almost tender.

6. Remove from oven and let stand, covered, until the rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Fluff with fork and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.

Torey
09-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Could you make this with Brown Rice? Would you have to add more liquid?

August Mom
09-07-2004, 03:34 PM
I actually have made it with brown rice. I didn't need to add more water, but I seem to recall that it took longer to cook.

raynjen
09-11-2004, 12:07 PM
For the food illiterate - are chick peas the same as hominy? Are they in the canned vegetable section?

Thanks =)

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who is almost three, Noelle!

August Mom
09-12-2004, 08:29 PM
They are with the beans. They aren't the same as chickpeas. Another name for chickpeas is garbanzo beans. HTH