PDA

View Full Version : What food has your toddler surprised you by eating?

Hallie_D
08-10-2004, 11:34 AM
DS has been in a long phase of picky eating, refusing most veggies and certainly never wanting to try something new. However, last night I made asparagus and when he saw his father pick up a stalk in his hands and eat it like a carrot, he started laughing. DS started saying, "pickles! pickles!" (although he has never wanted to eat a pickle before) and then said, "I want that!" We gave him a stalk and he gobbled it up and then ate two more!!! And then he asked to taste the lemon on the side of my plate!

DH and I were looking at each other like, "Whose child is this?"

I don't delude myself into thinking that he has turned a corner, but I'm curious --how has your child surprised you at the table recently?

Karenn
08-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Colin's gotten more adventurous too! He tried broccoli for the first time last week along with a number of other items from a Chinese Buffet. He's also tried, though didn't like corn on the cob. I've kind of just been sitting back wondering how long this will last!

jlcana
08-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Just a few nights ago, we had barbequed chicken and I always put the mild sauce on DS' portion. DH and I use a pretty spicy sauce on ours and DS decided he wanted to try it. So I put a tiny bit on a piece, he ate it and started saying "spicy" and gulped his milk. Then he wanted more! He ate so much that his eyes were watering as he was gulping milk.

He also likes the really dilly/salty Polish dill pickles- I can't stand them but he likes to eat what DH eats.

Lisa
Christopher 3/18/02
Another boy EDD 9/20/04

sntm
08-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Jack's always been into surprising foods, but he shocked us this weekend by eating at least a cup of this spicy curried corn chowder from a South African restaurant. We were at a party and the other guests couldn't stop talking about it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 13 months and counting

Hallie_D
08-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Mmm, that sounds good to me! :-)

JElaineB
08-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Last night I came home late from teaching and made myself breakfast for dinner. DS is normally not a big meat eater but he surprised me by wolfing down at least 1.5 of my 3 pieces of bacon right before he went to bed!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

22tango
08-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Well, I thought I was going to say lemon (loves to suck them) & pickles. But today she went right for the thinly sliced, raw red onions that I removed from my hoagie. I couldn't believe it!!!!!!

She also is surprising me by liking some of our more complex foods...like the seafood gumbo & steamed gyoza (chinese dumplings) I had on my plate at two recent meals.

Aarohismom
08-12-2004, 03:07 PM
Lime, We were dining at a restaurant. I was drinking my usual water with lime. She decided that she wants to try the lime. I gave it to her thinking that she would refuse to eat it after first try but she liked it so much that she wanted to eat the whole slice :o When me and DH refused to give it to her she started crying loudly, luckily her food arrived the same time and she forgot about the lime.
My DD is pretty daring abt trying new food. She almost eats everything that we eat.

newbelly2002
08-13-2004, 07:28 AM
That'd be a toss-up between
1) Curried cous-cous with bean sprouts, water cress and lamb

2) Balsamic Vinegar fetttucine cooked with red onions and fresh parsley.

3) Straight parmasan cheese

Then again, this is the same kid who refused Kraft Mac&Cheese. Can you say future food critic?

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02