PDA

View Full Version : When did your child become proficient at using silverware?

millerpjm
08-19-2004, 01:24 PM
I am just wondering when we move from the finger food stage to the using silverware phase? Most days he will hold the fork/spoon but still use his fingers. Any suggestions?

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas 2/3/03

brubeck
08-19-2004, 02:47 PM
My DS is about 6 weeks older than yours and he has only really gotten seni-good at the sppon in the last couple of weeks. I use the Sassy spoons with the holes in them. DS can dip his spoon into applesauce and some of it 'sticks' to these spoons. Then he can get the spoon to his mouth and he thinks it is great fun to eat this way. However he tips the spoon such that the contents would fall out if they did not 'stick'. DS eats Cheerios by putting one on the spoon with his fingers and then bringing it (sometimes sucessfully, sometimes not) to his mouth.

Fork use varies. If I put chicken pieces on DS' tray and give him a fork he will stab until he gets it on. This might take 10 or 12 tries but he gets the concept.

Just keep letting him have the opportunity and he will eventually get it.

jlcana
08-19-2004, 04:12 PM
DS uses both his fingers and spoon/fork at 29 months. I can't detect any particular pattern, it could be that it's Thursday for all I know. When he uses a spoon to eat something, we have to remind him to somewhat lean over the bowl or it's all over his lap sometimes. Sometimes he will eat the same foods with his fingers or a fork on a different day. The whims of a toddler, I guess!

Lisa
Christopher 3/18/02
Another boy EDD 9/20/04

Hallie_D
08-19-2004, 06:33 PM
DS uses a fork and spoon quite well, but still enjoys eating many things with his fingers--pasta, mac and cheese, etc. He usually will use both, as opposed to just using his fingers.