PDA

View Full Version : Open cup?

ppshah
08-31-2004, 02:12 PM
What age did you introduce the open cup? We are currently using the First Years take and toss cups. Do you think I can try with the lid off or will the lip on the cup get in the way? I've tried a couple of time before and he seemed to cough/choke. Should I just keep trying? How long do they keep spilling/coughing before they get the hang of it? Any cup recommmendations? DS has moved into a new room at daycare and they expect him to drink from an open cup- so we better start working on it!

Thanks.

hjdong
08-31-2004, 05:47 PM
I don't know if it's just because he's seen us use them, but DS loves to drink out of a coffee cup. A friend gave us a little metal camping type one and at first I just gave it with water. He loved it. Now, I'll give him that cup or a paper cup with juice when he's sitting. I always just put a small amount in. He only took one or two times to get good (although he still dribbles some) but he's significantly older than you little guy.

HTH,

sadie427
08-31-2004, 10:12 PM
We started with the open cup at 6 months just for sips of water, then more regularly around 10 months--we never did a sippy since he's at a Montessori daycare that doesn't allow them. I think it took about 2 weeks of offering it every day to get him to take it, then another 2 weeks for him to stop dribbling down his chin. So about a month to really learn it. Now at 12 1/2 months he's completely off bottles and drinks great from an open cup, he can actually pick it up and put it down on his highchair tray. He has occasionally used the take and toss cups w/o the lid, and I don't think the lip was the problem, but he was picky about cups for a while--it had to look like Mommy's cup, not a kids cup. So now we use a regular clear plastic tumbler or a small heavy juice glass. He does use a straw cup when we go out.

ppshah
09-07-2004, 03:15 PM
Thank You!!!

We've been practicing everyday with a little water. He's getting better but still dribbles or lifts the cup too fast and the water spills out. I've decided not to push him too much since he's transitioning to a new room at daycare and napping on a cot.

kransden
09-08-2004, 04:10 PM
DD has been using an open cup on and off since Jan. We use the tupperwear sippy cups or short plastic glasses. At dinner we all drink water so she does it by herself. If it is juice etc. we watch her like a hawk. If she is going to drink it around the house she gets a lid. It takes quite a while to improve. The first few months can be really messy! We also did a lot of drinking outside this summer.

Katie gets mad at us for drinking coffee in the morning. So we make her "coffee" - warm milk with a little chocolate, and we put the sippy cup (the disposable type)inside of a coffee cup. Talk about happiness in Katieland!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

hjdong
09-08-2004, 05:20 PM
I LOVE the coffee idea. You're a genius and a.m.s around here are going to be a lot happier.

Thanks!