PDA

View Full Version : I need a sippy cup that NEVER leaks. Does one exist?

mec
09-14-2004, 04:02 PM
DD loves her Avent sippy cup. When she converted from bottle to sippy cup this past Jan. we tried different brands, but the only one she'd use is Avent (I think b/c the spout is soft). The problem is they sometimes leak, & this always seems to happen when we go out. I'd like to put a sippy cup in the side pocket bottle holder of the diaper bag, but don't want a mess on the bag from leaks. So I need a cup that I can use out that I know won't leak. Now that she's a little older maybe she'll be open to different spouts.

Mary
DD 10/02

luvbeinmama
09-15-2004, 01:56 AM
If your avent is leaking when in the pocket bottle holder something is wrong. Are you over-tightening the lid? That sometimes makes Avents leak.

I don't think there is a sippy that NEVER leaks, esp. when the kids shake them upside down or throw them, but some are better than others. I have a few playtex, a few gerber, a bunch of first years disposables and some Johnson&Johnson (now owned/marketed by Munchkin). They all seem to work about the same except the disposables will drip from the spout if laying on their side. I never had the avent sippies leak on me, but DD didn't use them much. She, of course, wanted what DS was using.

HTH!

JacksMommy
09-15-2004, 04:03 PM
DS never used Avents so I can't speak to those but from what I know they shouldn't leak. Are they leaking a lot, or just a little when you first tighten them? We use playtex and I've often found that when I am refilling his cup, they will leak slightly at the beginning, but that this is often solved by his sucking a little bit of liquid out. If that doesn't work, I take out the valve, shake it out and reinsert, and that does the trick. If the cup isn't leaking at the start, I've not had any problems with it. So I can recommend the playtex ones!

Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/24/02

kmty
09-17-2004, 02:41 PM
We use playtex and it doesn't leak, unless DS tries to force the liquid out by turning it upside down.

Twin Mom
09-17-2004, 03:15 PM
I don't know if I can say never, but The 1st Years Clean & Simple plastic sippy cups (not the take and toss) rarely leak if the top is screwed on properly. Unlike the Playtex valves which can loosen if the cup is dropped or thrown these don't have separate valves so I find their is a lot less leakage. Plus there is a cover for the valve to keep it clean when not in use.

The Fields do recommend these cups in the BBB if I'm remembering correctly. Below is a link with some reviews. I agree that if the lid is not screwed on well it will leak a little. I always check for leaks by shaking up the cup over the sink after I screw the top on and see if anything comes out. I only have 2 regular Playtex cups and a few with the straws but these are the only cups I will let my kids use in the car because I know the chances of a spill are very low.

http://www.epinions.com/The_First_Years_Clean_Simple_10-oz_Spill-Proof_Cup_with_flip-top_cover_/display_~reviews

HTH.

calebsmama03
10-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Yes! We love these sippy cups! Especially the flip top. We've tried playtex, avent and something by tupperware and all have leaked. This one seems to be the best. If it leaks at all, it is a few drips at most. I got them at Target.

ETA- They're super easy to clean, too, as there's no valve!! Just pop it in the dishwasher - no assembly required :)
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

sarsah
10-06-2004, 07:38 PM
We've used about every brand and the ones I like the best are Gerber. They all leak some, but Gerber seems to leak the least, excpet for the new Gerber soft top training cups -- the valves fall out of those really easy, so I would skip those. We have some Gerber hard plastic tops that are about 3 years old and the valves don't stay in them when they are dropped -- of course, they've been dropped or thrown more time than I can count, so it's no wonder why they are like this. The newer ones don't seem to have this problem..

The Playtex cups leak a lot, unless you replace the valves quite often.

If I'm really worried about the bag I'm putting the sippy cup into (like my purse), I just put the sippy in a zip lock bag and that usually takes care of containing any leaks.

Sarah........mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)