PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still BFing?

natividad
09-21-2004, 04:53 PM
I have been lurking in the TBB for a while and it is nice to "see" all of you from the BBB here now. I don't post much, but wanted to ask, who is still BFing? At almost 19 months, we're still BF (on demand) and I perceive that DS has no interest in giving it up any time soon. I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed BFing him, but I kind of want my breasts back at times, he, he. One more thing, I just got my period after 17 months of BFing, does that mean that my supply might be diminishing?

Naty,
Mommy to Alexander

wendmatt
09-24-2004, 07:26 PM
Emily's 22 mths are I still nurse at bedtime. I've been wanting to wean for ages but didn't want to traumatize her and I've been too chicken! I got my period at about 6 mths and it didn't make any difference to my supply, but with a 19 mth old who is eating more solids it might make a difference.....lucky you!
I got Ems to stop nursing for naps by just reading, singing and rocking her to sleep, the first 2 times were a little hard (a little fussing) but I haven't got around to the nightime one yet...not sure how to handle that one!

22tango
09-27-2004, 09:11 PM
We're just about done. Karenna is 24.5 months and nurses in the morning once every 4-5 days. She'll "remember" it and, so far, I haven't tried to dissuade her (this morning we did, but I was feeling a little bit pained from no nursing for 4 days, and it helped to let her nurse.) The interval seems to be getting longer, so I imagine it'll end very soon.

nitaghei
09-28-2004, 03:51 PM
We are - at almost 21 months. Sigh. It's been an incredibly rewarding experience, but I am SO ready to be done. I also have working mom guilt, so I haven't forced the issue about giving up the single nursing session of the day (he dropped every other session on his own, and I'm still holding on to a rapidly waning hope that he'll self-wean).

Lucky you! Wish I could have a 17 month break - oh joy! But no such luck - I started back at 6 months (after post-partum stuff for 8 weeks grrrr), and haven't had any supply issues. So I doubt if there will be any effect on your supply.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

houseof3boys
09-28-2004, 09:03 PM
I wish that I could say I still was, but couldn't continue with the pain of it being pregnant (can you say *very* sensitive breasts). I did want to congratulate all of you on doing such a great job bf your toddlers. :)

LucyG
09-28-2004, 09:24 PM
We're still nursing three times a day at 19 months. I don't see DD giving it up anytime soon on her own, and I don't have any plans to wean in the near future. As she nears two, and DH and I contemplate maybe TTC sometime next spring, I may nudge her toward dropping a feeding here or there. My period came back at 14 months, and I haven't had any supply problems. It's good to hear from the other extended nursing moms on the boards! I honestly never thought I'd nurse this long, but now I can't imagine it any other way.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
19 months and counting!

lisams
09-29-2004, 12:57 AM
We're still nursing at 23 months. My periods came back at 4{!!) months post partum, and that was with round the clock feedings and no supplementing :-( Anyways, I do notice that my supply does dip down the week or two before my period but it comes back. My nipples sometimes get sore right before my period but that goes away also.

I love BFing DD, but I also have days where I'm ready for it to end but then there are the days where I treasure those quiet moments together. I do know that when she decides to wean I will feel fulfilled and happy she is ready to move on.

Lisa

tippy
09-29-2004, 05:49 AM
DS will be 21 mo old on 10/8 and he is still going strong. Nurses at least 3-5 times a day. (sometimes just little top me offs!) I am going to be 40 in Dec and we need to do In-Vitro if we want to conceive agian. I can't bf and take all those medications so I would have to wean ds to start a cycle. I am torn about it since I know this may be the only child I have and the only chance to BF. We both still get a lot out of it so I am in no rush to stop. I'm getting a bit of pressure from dh but nothing too heavy. I got my period after about 5 mo and no problem with milk production.

sntm
09-29-2004, 04:54 PM
Jack is 15 months and still nurses frequently (maybe 6-12 times a day on weekends). Still no AF (knock wood).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 15 months and counting

August Mom
09-30-2004, 05:18 PM
DS is 25.5 months and still nursing. He nurses in the morning, usually before bed and sometimes before or after his nap, but we're trying to confine it to just mornings when possible. He shows no signs of dropping the morning feeding. He has a one track mind when he wakes up. LOL I didn't have any supply issues after my period returned.

gisele
10-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Nicholas is 17 months old. We nurse in the morning, when I get home from work, and at bedtime. I pump twice (dropped a pump at 1 year) at work and he drinks that milk in a cup at mealtimes. On weekends, he nurses about 4-6 times a day. I got my period back at 9 months.

C99
10-01-2004, 05:00 PM
I think we're done or almost done. Nate's been down to one session/day for several months (he's 20 months now), but hasn't nursed or asked to nurse since Monday, so I think we may have finally weaned. I'm happy with this outcome. I went through a lot of hurdles to nurse in the first place and we made a good run of it, but I am also ready and happy to stop (and I think Nate's ready to stop, too, so that helps).

bigsis
10-03-2004, 03:10 AM
My DD's 13.5 mos old and I was soooo busy patting myself on the back for still nursing until I heard you ladies doing it at 17-20++ months. :)

I'm a WOHM mom so I also have a lot of guilt associated with not weaning. But at the same time, if she wasn't in DC and my freezer stash ran out when she was a little over 11 mos old, I don't know if I'd be nursing even more. Right now, I nurse DD at night, ALL night. We co-sleep as well.

I'm ready to completely wean though. I'm tired of sleeping on my side all the time. I want to have more intimacy with DH. We want to TTC#2. And no, AF hasn't visited me yet. I've had some spotting, but I don't think that counts.

GL to us! :)

calebsmama03
10-03-2004, 04:41 PM
At 19 mos today we're still BFing, but slowly cutting out the "on demand" sessions. We're still nursing AM, nap and nighttime.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

s7714
10-08-2004, 02:21 AM
We're at 19 months as well, and nursing three times a day (morning, nap and bedtime). I experimented a little and tried removing the morning session, and DD didn't really seem to be bothered, but I admitedly need that extra time to "snooze" and wake up a little more before I can face the day, so I added it back in. ;) Overall, she is nursing less and less when I do nurse her though. FWIW, my period came back exactly one day before DD's first birthday and I haven't had any problems with supply.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif