PDA

View Full Version : healthy school food

sntm
09-29-2004, 05:00 PM
I've volunteered for the daycare nutrition committee to review and change some of their less-than-ideal menu items (um, Hot Pockets???)

They are unable to change the vendor with whom they contract, so we have to work with what we can get.

I'd love any suggestions of really healthy "institutional" food items for kids through age 6 that can be prepared in serious mass quantities. We've already planned to chang to whole wheat items, add more fresh fruit, less juice, less refined grains, but need more good alternatives.

TIA!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 15 months and counting

newbelly2002
09-30-2004, 05:51 AM
What kind of mass quantities are we talking?

I cook every three weeks for our preschool, but that is only 12 kids and 2 adults.

What a great thing you're doing, though!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

luvbeinmama
10-01-2004, 01:58 AM
Well, sounds like you at least have a kitchen to work with, so that's good. Our school buys from Smart & Final, so, yeah, we have to work with it, too. No juice for us. The kids have a couple water pitchers (half full) to work with and pour their own (3-5 yo class). We always have a tray of fresh fruit and veggies (we steam the broccoli and it goes faster that way. It is an open snack room, so the kids come in & get what they want, eat & go back to playing. 2 moms are in there keeping everything stocked.

Let's see....

- Yogurt/fruit "sundae's" with whipped cream & sprinkles on top, you could also top with granola
- vegetable soup for cold days
- rice balls (made from sushi rice), some kids love them, some don't touch them, serve with a teriyaki sauce.
- mini pancakes - you can add shredded zucchini or dried blueberries if you want
- mini muffins - same thing about adding stuff to it
- cheese & crackers(if you can provide an alternative for dairy intolerant little ones, great, or have the mom provide something on that day)
- soybeans (the kids love them, you could serve with the rice balls)

That's what I can think of right now that we did last year, I'll try to think of more.