PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 'dips'?

mharling
10-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Lane had been lukewarm about eating bananas until dh had the brilliant idea of dipping them in yogurt. What other sorts of dips (traditionals dips or otherwise) does your toddler like?

In the same vein, at what age did you start offering raw peppers?

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little brother or sister on the way - EDD March 2

Zansu
10-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Benjamin is very fond of Italian salad dressing. We use the brand in the 3-sided bottle, Romano Cheese flavor.

We use it for any type of meat or starch. Ketchup is of course another favorite.

lisams
10-13-2004, 05:52 PM
some favorites (which aren't all particularly healthy, but they do get her eating healthy food!)

ketchup
ranch dressing
BBQ sauce
yogurt
applesauce (she loves this with her chicken?!!)
caramel apple dip (for a special treat)

Lisa

August Mom
10-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Hummus (for vegetables)
Salsa (for tortilla chips)
Tomato Sauce (for bread sticks)
Ketchup (for everything else LOL)

I can't remember exactly when DS started eating raw bell peppers. It was around 1. He was definitely younger than Lane is now when he started. He likes orange and yellow peppers the best.

raynjen
10-17-2004, 09:09 PM
DD has been eating raw peppers since about 18 months or so. I worried about the skin at first, but she didn't seem to have any problems with it.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who is almost three, Noelle!

houseof3boys
10-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Ryan won't go for it, (but he is so picky) but what about a bean dip? Like a white bean puree or a regular refried bean kind of dip.

We do Annie's ranch dressing, ketchup and apricot preserves that he dips his bread into.

JElaineB
10-17-2004, 11:50 PM
The only dip DS seems to like is ketchup. He usually dips the food in the ketchup and licks off the ketchup and doesn't eat the food though! I haven't had much success with any other dips yet. He did like salsa on some tortilla chips at a Mexican restaurant a couple of weeks ago, so I guess that counts too. I haven't tried that on anything else yet though, maybe I will now!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

peanutandpumpkinsmom
10-21-2004, 11:44 PM
My dd will only do ketchup. My ds current fave is tzatziki. He also loves bleu cheese dressing, caesar dressing, hummus, ranch dressing, sweet & sour sauce, things like that.

ralu
10-25-2004, 02:17 AM
Grated parmesan cheese (he likes to "dip" anything in it)
Olive tapenade from Trader's Joe (mostly for chicken)

Raluca

713abc
11-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Queso - melted cheese - is often a big hit.

Edited to add - he often just eats the cheese off of the cracker or other food he is dipping in the cheese!

Mom to Max, 05/28/03

MartiesMom2B
11-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Martie still won't eat raw peppers or any other veggies for that matter. But I keep offering them to her.

Martie likes to dip things in ketchup and bbq sauce. Yesterday she was dipping pretzles in zesty garlic hummus and loved it. She wasn't eating that many pretzles. She was basically licking the hummus off the pretzle and saying "nummy"

-Sonia

lisams
11-10-2004, 05:00 PM
I tried the parmesan after reading your post, and DD loved it! We gave her some to dip her chicken in and she loved it (she's not a big meat eater so this is good!)

What a great idea, thanks!!!
Lisa

alleyoop
11-11-2004, 04:07 PM
Nate loves to dip EVERYTHING so I have to keep in stock:

Spicy mustard (dijon kind)
Yellow mustard
Salsa
Sour cream
Ketsup
BBQ Sause
Spicy BBQ sauce
Terriaki Sauce
Ranch Dressing
Applesauce
Yogurt

He will actually ask for spicy mustard or bbq sauce and will get pretty angry if you try to pass the bland stuff over on him! Strange kid, but he will eat nearly everything.

jlcana
11-18-2004, 03:09 PM
We started giving Chris raw red peppers cut into thin slivers probably around 18 months. The skins were only a problem if I made the pieces too big. He loves them in Hidden Valley Light Ranch dressing.

He also likes medium spicy salsa on meatloaf, tortilla chips and in tomato soup. The funniest thing he likes is Famous Daves Georgia Mustard BBQ sauce on chicken. We started gifing him the Rich & Sassy while we had the mustard sauce on ours He wanted to try ours and now he only wants the mustard style. The funny part is that he takes a bite then gulps milk because of the spice. He does this the entire meal-hey, it gets him to finish his milk(he's not a big milk drinker).

Lisa
Christopher 3/18/02
Andrew 9/28/04

MartiesMom2B
11-23-2004, 07:06 PM
Last night I noticed Martie eyeing my Green Goddess dressing so I squirted some on her plate. Lo and behold she's eating her chicken, cheese, peas AND carrots while dipping them in the dressing. I love finding her something that'll make her eat!

-Sonia