PDA

View Full Version : When to transition to cup

MartiesMom2B
11-05-2004, 04:46 PM
When do you move from sippies/straw cups to regular cups and how? Once in a while I'll give Martie some water in these short little tupperware cups I have. I wonder if I should just put water in there while she eats so she's sitting. I think she wants to drink from a cup rather than a sippy. Are there training cups out there? I have small tupperware cups and I also have the cups with a spout. I wouldn't call it a sippy, because liquid just pours out of it. You don't need to sip at all.

TIA
-Sonia

egoldber
11-05-2004, 10:02 PM
I think the tupperware type cups are the perfect starter cups. I have some from the dollar store that I got too that I like a lot.

I started when DD was 2, because in preschool, they started giving them juice in a cup with their snack. They encouraged me to practice at home too. It took a few weeks, but she picked it up pretty fast.

But honestly, it wasn't until we started potty training and I wanted to really start limiting her liquid intake that I gave up the straw cups completely. Now she wants nothing to do with straw cups, those are for "babies" and she's a "big girl". But she will still use a regular straw (not a straw sippy) to drink from a cup, like in a restaurant for example.

HTH,

wendmatt
11-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Emily's almost 2 and has been drinking from a cup for a while. She never took a bottle so we tried everything possible to get her to drink from something other than boob! She asks for a cup sometimes at home but I always take a sippy cup out so it doesn't spill. I think it's a good idea to offer one at home to practise with. I have some little plastic Hello Kitty cups I got from the dollar store, 3 for $, she loves her "meow" cup! Good luck, it can get messy sometimes!

Karenn
11-10-2004, 01:54 AM
When Colin was 18 mos. or so we went to a toddler class and they had the kids drink water out of those tiny bathroom paper cups. I started giving him one of those half full of water each night after he brushed his teeth and he became fairly proficient at using it within a short period of time. It was an easy, gradual way to introduce it.

Now, when I have the energy ;) I'll give him a regular cup at meals and he does OK with it. It's a little harder for him to drink out of a larger cup, but most of our spills have not been too bad. I think it may have been Helen (Brubeck) who suggested putting a Baby Bjorn style bib on when just starting with a cup and that's worked really well for us too. It really contains the mess!