PDA

View Full Version : When did your toddler stop asking to be fed?

Hallie_D
11-12-2004, 12:08 PM
At almost 2.5, DS is perfectly capable of using a fork and spoon, but he almost always asks DH or I (or both!) to feed him a few bites of every meal. Sometimes he asks for a "performance art" bite--you know, making the bite "fly" like an airplane or lots of sound effects.

DS is small for his age (height and weight have consistently been below the charts, but following the curve) and eats very little. We used to spend a lot of time making spoonfuls of food into airplanes and choo choo trains to convince him to eat, and I guess he never stopped enjoying it. Now that it is clear that he is only going to eat what he wants to eat, regardless of our antics, we really try to let him decide how much he wants to eat. However, he will always eat more if we will feed him the last few bites--if we tell him no for whatever reason he will just stop eating.

How old is too old for a toddler to be fed? Rationally I know I won't be making airplane sounds to feed him in high school, but I am starting to feel like I'm babying him too much or somehow encouraging him to eat less on his own.

Or maybe this is perfectly normal behavior?

TIA!

JElaineB
11-13-2004, 08:55 PM
DS rebelled against us feeding him around 12-13 months I think. Since then he lets us feed him something like applesauce or cottage cheese on occassion but mostly he is completely self-fed at this point. I don't know what is "normal" but if it works for your family I would say do what works! I'm very big on following DS's lead when he is ready for a new stage especially in the feeding and sleeping arenas. It sounds like if you are only feeding him a few bites each meal it is probably just fun for him and not a huge part of his nutritional intake. So I don't know that it would make a big difference if you continue or if you stop? If you want him to completely self-feed at this point I'm sure it wouldn't be harmful to encourage that if that is what you want to do. Maybe get some fun character plates or something that are "big boy" plates and only can be used by him?

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Kimberly H
11-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Mia's fallen back into wanting to be fed messy things like yogurt and applesauce again. I honestly don't mind since I work outside the home and meals are time we get to spend together.

Now if she's only let me feed her spaghetti... ;)

egoldber
11-15-2004, 10:58 AM
OK, sometimes DD STILL wants to be fed messy foods. But she has a thing about getting her hands and face dirty. But it generally is only things that are really messy to eat.

Hallie_D
11-16-2004, 11:50 AM
DS definitely wants to be fed more of the messy foods he eats, and always wants a "nakmin" to wipe his face and hands.

He's in daycare and has to feed himself there. Maybe that is why he likes us to feed him--feeling special, getting a little extra attention...etc. Some of his other recent behavior also makes me wonder if it isn't a little bit of a control issue.

Thanks for letting me know he's not the only one who still likes to be fed!