PDA

View Full Version : Quick Lunch/Dinner Suggestions - Working Mom

chris0129
04-26-2005, 08:39 PM
I'm running out of ideas- help! Lauren (2 yrs.) barely eats any protein or vegetables. She will eat pasta, cheese and chicken nuggests, but that's getting old fast. She tends to pick out any meat or veggies that are in the meal, so I'm not sure what to do. I'll take any quick ideas to get more nutrition into her. I know this is typical of a toddler, but I would still love to hear what everyone else is having success with at the table. Thanks!
Chris

sdbc
04-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Have you tried mixing black beans with the pasta?

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

wendmatt
05-02-2005, 02:32 AM
I steam veg (usually brocolli and cauliflower) chop it up really small, cover it in grated cheese and microwave for about 15 secs until the cheese is all melted and it tastes like cheesy mush! DD eats loads of it! I have a tough time with protein too, she doesn't like chicken, chicken nuggets or much else! So I figured cheese is fat, protein and calcium too and if I get some veg in there that's a bonus!
Any pasta, I cook up quite a bit and freeze the rest so I can just take out a handful and microwave it. DD likes pasta alot.
Fish fillets, like fish sticks, but not as processed. Not great like fresh fish would be but at least she'll eat them.
Good luck.

mharling
05-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Soybean butter and jelly sandwiches? Cheese quesadillas? You could even fork-mash some beans and put in them in there. Another favorite here is potato & cheddar perogis from Trader Joe's. They have a fair bit of protein in them and are very good.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25049.jpg

MaryM
05-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Can you get to a Sam's Club or somthing where they often pass out food samples? This has become one of our ways to see what new food interests our 3 yr old who also wouldn't eat meat. We learned that by putting some stuff on a toothpick (like they did at Sam's Club we tell her) she's more interested in trying it. I now buy frozen meatballs (microwave a few with a little BBQ sauce and water for a few minutes) and put each one on a toothpick. I've also read that kids don't really need as much protein as we think they do, so you may want to get your Pediatrician's advice based on what protein she eats over a 10 day period. Also, try a great salad bar out if you can, and get samplings of food OUT!, rather than be frustrated in your own kitchen. Great offerings on a salad bar could be the plain kidney beans or little beats (well, that's worked so far for us). Good luck, our habits are changing too, and I'm also looking for new ideas for #2 eating quirks that are different than #1.

MaryM
05-09-2005, 11:52 PM
one more...
if she likes chicken nuggets, she would probably like
Regular Chicken flavor BOCA BURGERS. This is another mainstay for our protein needs, and it takes 1 minute in the microwave. You can cut in pieces, or use a cookie cutter to make a new shape, etc. They do taste pretty good!

buttergirl12
05-13-2005, 10:40 AM
DS loves potatoes. This is not really quick but it gets him to eat vegetables. I boil 5lbs of potatoes and make mashed potatoes. I also boil and mash carrots and broccoli and mix it all together. I make it pretty lumpy and mix in some grated cheese before serving. I freeze most of it and I get at least 12 portions. So while it takes some time I only do it once every two weeks or so. For a while this was the only thing he would eat.

Manja
WAHM to Joshua 10/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/031011/0/5/3/-5/.png[/img] (http://lilypie.com)

18 month checkup - 32lbs - 36in

stefani
05-20-2005, 11:17 AM
How about ground beef / turkey in the meat sauce for the pasta?
I have been struggling with this lack of protein & vegetables as well, until recently.

DS ate lots of meat loaf & rice, meat loaf & pasta, meat sauce & pasta, and turkey patties recently (I know it will probably change next week!). Some carrots, broccoli, and peas in them to get the vegetables quota.

I have some success with adding a little salt & or spices + butter to the peas & broccoli, DH had him eating spinach & carrots with ranch dressing last week, but I had no success last night, sigh...

Good luck!

neeter
06-06-2005, 09:30 AM
DS loves veggie burgers. The one we get is the Original Gardenburger (made with mushrooms, soy and cheese). He eats about 1/2 of one occasionally (not too often because of the sodium content). He loves them, though! Also he loves spinach munchies from Whole Foods - they are whole wheat pockets with spinch, soy & cheese. They are also in the freezer section.

Puddy73
06-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Have you tried sweet potato fries? They are in the frozen food section with the other french fries. I also sneak grated veggies into spaghetti sauce and mac and cheese. If the pieces are too small for DD to pick out, she doesn't seem to mind.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."