PDA

View Full Version : Unbreakable Dinnerware for Family

MaryM
05-09-2005, 11:33 PM
I want to encourage my preschooler and toddler to begin setting the table and clearing off dishes and cups. I'd like to just replace our regular breakable dinnerware set with a full set of decent looking unbreakable dinnerware that our whole family would use that is not as fragile as the typical dishes and glassware. While plastic and tupperware sound obvious, I was hoping for a look that's good enough for us to use for the whole family for the next few years. Any suggestions?

luvbeinmama
05-10-2005, 12:29 AM
Not exactly unbreakable, but pretty tough... my mom got some CorelleWare a long, long time ago (I remember having it in the house as a kid) and she still has it & uses it daily.

hellokitty1
06-06-2005, 04:04 PM
I was going to suggest Corelle also. It isn't unbreakable but very, very hard to break. What kind of flooring is in your kitchen? The only down side is that if it breaks, it shatters into almost powder-like pieces. But, again, it's very hard to break.

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)
www.sydneylin.cjb.net (updated 5/21/04 but major overhaul coming soon!)

ellies mom
06-07-2005, 02:03 AM
That Corelle stuff is great. We used to use the dinner plates as bases for youth softball games at church. I think it might survive a toddler. Another option might be to pick up inexpensive picnic/partyware to use for the time being.

zuzu
06-07-2005, 07:50 AM
I've not used Corelle, but it sounds promising based on the previous posts.

Another option is melamine. I've seen pieces at Crate & Barrel and Target in the past, and I'm sure other places carry it too. You might not be able to put all types of it in the microwave - not sure if that would be an issue for you.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

MaryM
06-09-2005, 12:58 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions!! Ironic that it was ME today who broke TWO pieces! Our entire first floor is either wood or ceramic. I'm going to find where Corelle is sold and get a full set, and I've also just picked up solid white melamine plates & bowls at Target. Still chuckling about using Corelle as bases!!

nitaghei
06-09-2005, 09:59 AM
With the caveat I loathe Corelle, it actually is a great option for a toddler household. It's what we use. I hate it, but it's practical. I put away my beloved Fiestaware. sob. My mother loves her Corelle - and they have tile/stone floors.

Corelle is widely available - even Target carries it. And there are lots of Corning outlets - so check those out to.

Nita (fleece is my friend)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

dinamom
06-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Just FYI, my 21-month old managed to drop a Corelle bowl on our ceramic floor and it shattered into thousands of pieces, so it can break. That was my first experience with it breaking though and the 2 sets I have are as old as my husband. : )

dinamom
06-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Just FYI, my 21-month old managed to drop a Corelle bowl on our ceramic floor and it shattered into thousands of pieces, so it can break. That was my first experience with it breaking though and the 2 sets I have are as old as my husband. : )