PDA

View Full Version : Froot Loop Obsessed DS

August Mom
06-22-2005, 11:54 AM
How much am I harming DS letting him eat Froot Loops with 1/3 less sugar than original Froot Loops? Seriously, he is obsessed with these and is about to polish off a 13.3 oz box in a matter of days.

I never had eaten Froot Loops in my life. One of the other moms brough some to playgroup to eat dry as a snack. DS loved them. I then compounded the problem by acceding to his request at the store to buy Froot Loops (although I did get the ones with less sugar).

My rationalizing side says at least they are fortified and there could be a lot worse things - at least he's not eating candy or cookies all day. But, at the same time, it still looks like a lot of sugar.

alkagift
06-22-2005, 12:57 PM
How much sugar is in a typical serving that he's eating? For example, we give DS an organic cereal bar once a day that has about 13 grams of sugar. That's a lot, I think, and certainly more than is in my cereal in the morning. However, I make sure he has milk with it, or plain yogurt, and he also doesn't eat a lot of sugar any other time.

So, I think it's all about balance. If you're concerned, you can always wean him to other cereals that may have less of the bad stuff you're worried about until he's back to eating Cheerios! ;)

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

jubilee
06-23-2005, 02:26 AM
When I give Logan Froot Loops, I mix it half and half with Cheerios. He doesn't even notice.

lcl
06-25-2005, 04:57 PM
I have similar problems. My DS has been requesting to eat Kix for all meals. He had already been a picky eater (only eats pasta, bread, yogurt, rare nuggets, most fruits). My rationale too is that it is fortified. He picked Kix out bc it has Dora on the box. My DS doesnot eat candy at all but does request cookies.

JElaineB
06-25-2005, 07:51 PM
Do the 1/3 less sugar have an artifical sweetner or just less sugar? I guess if they have an artifical sweetner I would prefer the full sugar version for DS. I personally wouldn't worry about it too much. It is probably an obsession that will pass at some point. For a while DS had a Lucky Charms obsession but only would eat the marshmallows. I kind of weaned him off it and stopped buying it. He stopped asking and moved on to something else. For a while he had to have some whipped cream every day. Now it is an ice cream cone (luckily I bought the mini "junior" cones which are tiny and satisfy him). He eats a well balanced diet otherwise, so I would rather give it to him than have him think some foods are not allowed and therefore more desirable to him.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

August Mom
06-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Thanks, everyone. I think his obsession is waning. He still wants them as a snack, but only 1 time a day or so now. Thank goodness.

FYI, FWIW, there are no artificial sweeteners in the lower sugar Froot Loops. (I'm anti artificial sweetener anyway). There are 10g of sugar per 1.25 cup serving.