PDA

View Full Version : WOHMs: food at daycare

TahliasMom
06-30-2005, 09:20 PM
DD is 13.5 months and going to daycare in 2 weeks. This one doesn't provide meals so I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to sent with DD everyday besides mac & cheese and cut up fruit plus her typical snacks! DD is still on formula, refuses milk. I struggle with meals everyday because she's lost all interest in food. Sigh. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

TIA!

August Mom
07-01-2005, 03:52 PM
I probably shouldn't be responding because I don't have a DC in daycare, but how about a rollup of some sort. Just take a tortilla and put in things she likes (or might like). You could spread with cream cheese or hummus or a fruit spread or soy nut butter or whatever and then top with other toppings. You can do fruit, veggies, cheese or meat or a combination. Then, you can either slice in spirals or leave it whole or in half.

You also could do sandwiches - cheese, soy nut butter, turkey or ham. If you want it to be special - cut the sandwich out with a cookie cutter.

As a side, you could send veggies (and maybe even a cup of dip if she's not too messy).

That's what comes to mind at the moment. Good luck.

TahliasMom
07-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks! I'm so frazzled with trying to find her a decent daycare and worrying about food and such. These are great suggestions! Thanks!

californiagirl
07-01-2005, 06:46 PM
DD has never gotten the hang of sandwiches or rollups. She disassembles anything assembled. She also apparently eats roughly 2x as much as anybody else at daycare, so your mileage may vary. For my sanity, I have a scheme where she gets 1 container of fruit, and 2 of savory stuff, which must between them have protein, starch, and a vegetable. Fruit can be cut up fruit if it will survive, or a peeled citrus fruit, or frozen fruit (in the summer, I just leave it frozen), or grated apple or pear in yoghurt with some ginger or nutmeg. Protein could be chunks of cheese and/or sausage, meatballs, shu mai or potstickers, meatloaf, leftovers, chicken fried rice, tuna casserole... The vegetable might be cucumber salad or carrot salad (I buy pre-grated carrots and steam them some), or frozen vegetables, usually with a vinaigrette on them, or a frozen vegetable/pasta mix, or a frozen vegetable/rice mix. (Umm, the vegetables I always thaw.)

yoyoginger
07-08-2005, 04:49 PM
My son is just about to move up to the Toddler room where I have to bring his lunch in a lunch box every day. Today they gave me two hand-outs that I can fax to you. The quality isn't great (left margin is cut off) but there are a ton of ideas. If you want, send me your fax number at ymgingras at hot mail com (remove the space between hot and mail) and I'll fax it to you on Monday.

TahliasMom
07-08-2005, 09:23 PM
i don't have access to a fax until i start work on july 18th but i'll email you then!
thanks so much

abigailsmom
08-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Sorry to butt into your conversation, but I am having a hard time figuring out what to send with my daughter to preschool. I do not have access to fax... is there any way that you can scan that in and e-mail it to me.

Thanks a million if you can and don't worry if you can't!

Robyn
Mama to my little girl who starts K-3 8/9/05 (OMG!!!)

ETA: oops! abigailmom2002 yahoo com insert @ and . in the appropriate spaces.

hellokitty1
08-04-2005, 03:38 PM
ETA that this is an old post so I don't know who needs what anymore. I will email yoyoginger with my fax in the event she still has the menu. Then I will email it to you Robyn.

====================================

I have electronic fax so I can email you with my fax number and then I'll have it soft copy to distribute.

My DD is in daycare fulltime but thankfully, her school provides food. If I had to think about meals everyday on top of going to work, i would go bananas. I could share my daycare's meals but they are hot meals so probably not so helpful.

abigailsmom
08-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks so much... I didn't pay attention to the date!

hellokitty1
08-05-2005, 10:06 AM
I just sent it to you via email.

Laela
10-12-2005, 05:51 PM
I would be very interested in this email as well! Could someone send it to me ([email protected]) or post it on this site? Thanks!

hellokitty1
10-13-2005, 08:27 AM
Done.

sarsah
10-22-2005, 03:01 PM
My DS is in a Mothers Morning Out program two mornings a week (started when he was 15 months old) and the children eat lunch there. I pretty much send him the same things each day -- a cheese stick or cut up cheese cubes, cut up fruit (usually two kinds -- right now it's apples and grapes) and some crackers or cereal. Sometimes I send him cut up grilled chicken (left from dinner the night before).

A lot of times he doesn't eat anything, but really, that is typical for him. He will go days with just muching on a few things and then suddenly he will eat quite a bit -- it is a cycle that goes on and on and on.

Sarah.....mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)