PDA

View Full Version : Help with adjustable wooden highchairs?

karenow
08-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Hello,

I have 20-month-old triplets. They have been eating at a triple feeding table since about 5 months, but are about to outgrow it.

I want to get them wooden adjustable chairs, along the lines of the Kinderzeat, that they will be able to use for a long time. I also will get one for my 5-year-old son.

My problem is, I need these chairs to be tall enough so that I can use them at my kitchen island, which is 36 inches tall. We have a formal dining room set, which I don't want them eating at yet. We need new chairs for the island anyway, so I thought this would be a good way to combine them.

Unfortunately it seems that most of the seats are designed only to be used at regular (30-33 inches) tables. I have found only one so far that looks like it can be used at the island, which is the Argington Babylon chair:

http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro/baby/71656/BabylonHighChair.html
http://www.highchairs.com/argington-babylon-high-chair.htm

I will get this chair if I can't find anything else, but it's not that attractive looking to me, and I'm hoping to find another option. They *must* be tall enough for the island, which as I said is 36 inches, and ideally I want the chairs to be wood and definitely adjustable with a foot tray; my son hates sitting in the tall island chairs with his feet dangling, it makes him very wiggly.

Can anyone suggest an alternative? I'd like these chairs to be adjustable enough to use for 10 years, until they either wear out or we buy all new stools again.

Thanks so much! I figured I can't be the only one out there who has toddlers sitting at an island! I wish the Kinderzeat was just a little taller!

thanks,
Karen

WooChx
10-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Why don't you just purchase normal island chairs and place booster seats on them?

karenow
10-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Er, because as I said I want them to adjust as they grow, not be just one size-fits-all, and I want a footrest; if you read about it it is really uncomfortable as well as ergonomically bad to sit with your feet swinging into space.

In addition, booster seats go up to 30-35 pounds. At almost 2, my triplets range from 27-34 pounds. They wouldn't last long in a booster (we have one for the biggest), but they're way too short for the island without something.

Karen