PDA

View Full Version : HELP--Lunch Rut!!

Bens Momma
08-04-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi Everyone-
My DS (23 mos) is a pretty good eater, but recently he won't eat much/any lunch and then is too hungry before dinner is ready. I think the problem is he is bored with the same old stuff that I've been giving him for months! To be honest, I'm bored with it too!! Anyone have suggestions for nutritious, easy lunches for a toddler?

Thanks!
Momma to Ben (8/03) & Baby #2 (edd 11/05)

jadamom
08-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Not sure how nutritious or easy, but these are what I can think of:

Mac n cheese
Chicken nuggets
Chicken noodle soup
Spaghetti
Pizza
Sandwiches:
Peanut butter & jelly
Chicken salad
Tuna salad
Egg salad
Turkey
Ham & egg
Yogurt & fruit

jlcana
08-11-2005, 02:44 PM
This is what DS 1 has been eating for lunch since he was around 2:

Lean Pockets pepperoni pizza and boiled broccoli, fruit
PB & J(not strawberry or grape-cherry, blueberry, pear, peach preserves) and raw red pepper strips/carrots w/ ranch dressing
Baked beans(Bush's Bold/Spicy, they're pinto beans not the usual small kind) and grape tomatoes, fruit
Grilled cheese and tomato soup with canned italian tomatoes added, fruit
Yogurt and fruit(must be his "diet" day)
Leftover bbq chicken, corn on the cob, sweet potato(all from dinner)
Homemade chicken veggie soup, pumpkin wheat bread, fruit
Mushroom, red pepper or cheese gnocchi w/ red sauce, fruit

Can you tell my son has some eclectic tastes and loves any kind of fruit! He doesn't like steamed broccoli, only boiled, he tells me steamed is "yucky". He never touched anything with beans in it until 6 months ago, this is the only kind of baked beans he likes! Let me know if you want the recipe for the soup or bread. I make the soup differently than most-its got creamed corn, italian tomatoes and salsa in it with all the traditional ingredients.

Lisa
Christopher 3/18/02
Andrew 9/28/04

Bens Momma
08-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Thanks to you both for some good lunch ideas! Lisa, I would love the recipe for the pumpkin wheat bread, it sounds yummy! The soup sounds good too. What a coincidence, I made some soup for my DS this week and he seemed to enjoy it--especially the noodles. I tried baked beans and he didn't like them, but I'll try the brand you recommend. I also hadn't thought of mac n' cheese, but I'm sure he'd enjoy it and I could add some chicken or ground beef to get in some meat. Thanks again and here's hoping for a happy eater with some of these new ideas!

Ben's Momma

Judegirl
08-14-2005, 09:21 PM
My dd's favorites are:

Quinoa!! A nutritional powerhouse, super-easy to cook, and my dd LOVES it.

Avocado

beans (out of the can and warmed with olive oil & garlic)

slightly-softened frozen peas, each squashed into a flat circle (I stole this idea from Eileen & dd loves it.)

Also tempeh - cut & saute in oil - dd will eat, but it's not a fave.

HTH,
Jude

jlcana
08-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Here goes, I got this out of a recipe rescue cook book:

1 cup wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp each baking soda and salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
Can of pumpkin(not pie mix)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg and 1 egg white
1 single serve applesauce(any flavor, 3-4 oz cup)

Preheat to 350. Spray meatloaf pan(9x5) w/ nonstick spray. In large bowl, stir together flours, baking soda/powder and salt. In separate bowl, mix everything else. Dump liquid ingredients into dry ingredients bowl and mix by hand. It will be somewhat hard to mix, keep working it until all dry mixed into liquid. Pour into pan, smooth top and bake 50-60 minutes. I started adding the applesauce to make it a little moister, I usually use unsweetened but peach flavored applesauce is good too. If you really want to make it good, add about 3/4 cup of chocolate chips!

Here's the soup recipe:

Birthday Soup-in honor of Little Bear's story
2 cooked boneless chicken breasts, chopped
15 oz can of italian tomatoes
15 oz can creamed corn
2-3 cups of chicken broth(ok to use a mix)
Chopped carrots, onions and red peppers to taste
Frozen green beans, peas, corn to taste
Some salsa(I use medium)
Optional: kidney beans, lima beans, pasta

Cook carrots and onions in broth until almost tender. Add all other ingredients and simmer for at least an hour. Add salsa to taste, more broth if needed. I make this chunky like a stew and don't measure anything. I've also made it with canned chicken and just used no salt creamed corn. Add whatever you like, its very adaptable and tastes better the next day!

This is also great for my almost year old baby, I just process it until its a finer stew.

Lisa
Christopher 3/18/02
Andrew 9/28/04

ctmom
08-18-2005, 12:18 PM
you can't get any easier than Annies easy mac...lately my girls have been on a mini wheat bagel w/cream cheese craze, raisin bread toasted with either butter or cream cheese and mini ravioli or tortellini with a little butter

crl
08-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Potstickers from Trader Joes (the Thai veggie ones and the pork ones)
Raisin bread toast with cream cheese plus fruit
scrambled eggs (I put shredded cheese in these) plus fruit
leftovers (ok, so that's not interesting, but it's easy)
cheese and/or turkey lunch meat, crackers and fruit or microwaved veggie

August Mom
08-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Quesadillas - my lunch standby :) DS usually prefers straight cheese but will sometimes do meat, beans or veggies

Salad - DS loves salad

Turkey, Ham or Turkey & Ham Sandwiches