PDA

View Full Version : 2-Year Old Doesn't Feed Himself (for the most part)

garlicsalt
09-22-2005, 02:38 PM
I have a 2-year old boy who has never taken to using a utensil to feed himself...for the most part anyway.
He'll use his hands to eat some foods like crackers and dry cereal and fruit pieces. He'll *sometimes* use a spoon to eat cereal w/milk. He'll *sometimes* use a fork to poke some foods, but only with my close encouragement and pleading.
This has become a problem, as he just started attending nursery school once weekly, and he refuses to eat anything aside from the fruit serving, because he wants his teacher to feed him, which isn't going to happen.
I guess I just have to let him sit there and not help him eat, right? That method doesn't bode very well with our schedule, though. :(
When I ask him to please feed himself, he might do it or he'll say, "no. mama."
Help.

hjdong
09-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Have you tried those spoons that are curved at the end? When DS finally took to feeding himself, those spoons gave him the push he needed. The handle is actually a loop. We got ours at BRU.

ETA: If I remember correctly, he was over 2 as well, and I thought he would never, ever feed himself. Hang in there,

HTH,

garlicsalt
09-22-2005, 10:51 PM
I've never seen those spoons...are they supposed to be visually appealing in that the kids dig them?
I actually just bought him Wiggles dishes today, and my husband says that he was excited about feeding himself at dinner!
I doubt that this is the full answer and is probably temporary.

hjdong
09-23-2005, 10:52 AM
They look thike this: http://nannas-baby.com/bu-feeding/19324.html (BTW: I just googled to find the picture. BRU should have them, and then you wouldn't have to pay shipping).

ETA: I think it is an easier spoon for them to grip. In fact, a friend of mine who is an OT says they use them sometimes for adults who have trouble feeding themselves (well, bigger versions of the same thing).