PDA

View Full Version : Fisher-Price Grow with me booster seat

joyjoy
01-07-2002, 04:21 PM
After reading Consumer Reports' evaluation of booster seats, I would really like to buy a Fisher-Price Grow With Me booster seat. According to Fisher-Price, the seat was discontinued in May 2001. Does anyone know where I could still buy a brand new seat other than at ridiculously priced auction sites like ebay. (I checked ebay today and the seller wanted $160.00 for a new seat plus $30.00 shipping).

If not, does anyone have any other recommendations for toddler booster seats?

Thanks for your help

strollerqueen
01-08-2002, 05:02 AM
I have the same problem! My daughter is 3.7 years old, 39 inches, but only 31 pounds! The advice is to keep them in a 5-point harnessed booster until they're 40 pounds, but her shoulders are at the top harness slots of her Britax Roundabout. (Nearly outgrown).

I bought it, per the advice of the Fields in Baby Bargains. I've beeen really happy with it, but NOW WHAT ? She's tall enough for a booster seat, but too light. I'm chewing my nails to the bone over this safety issue. We've already been in one really bad accident. The Police and paramedics said it was a miracle she wasn't hurt, and credited it to the right car seat being properly installed!

There doesn't seem to be any 5-point harness seat that will fit her. There's like a year-long waiting list for the Britax Super Elite, which even then won't fit all cars.

Alan, Denise, any suggestions? HELPPPPP!!!!

joyjoy
01-08-2002, 05:03 PM
Something fishy is going on.

I just checked ebay again. Now there are more seats still in the box for sale. They continue to go for a high price. Most of the sellers are from Canada. Where are they getting these from? Is there a store still selling them. Does anyone know?

strollerqueen
01-08-2002, 06:11 PM
I don't know where they're getting them from, but I do know that, unfortunately, it is illegal to use them! (Because they're from another country; not my opinion, just the fact.):'( :-( x( :(

kathyo
01-08-2002, 11:58 PM
The Grow With Me's are still being sold at The Bay in Canada, which is the department store chain that the old Hudson's Bay Company became.

Unfortunately, yes, they're illegal to use in the States, or else I'd buy one for you and mail it! The issue is legal rather than structural - it's the EXACT SAME SEAT, but the labels certify it for Canadian standards, and the instructions conform to Canadian regulations (e.g. the tethers are mandatory for us.)

As well, the weight allowances are frequently different for Canadian seats, because (A) we do have to tether them, so there's no non-tethered weight regulation, and (B) the allowances reflect what our government was testing for when they certified the seat, rather than its actual limitations. For example, this means that your Britax Roundabout only goes to 20lbs rear-facing up here, even though (as far as I can tell) the two countries perform nearly identical crash tests, to identical standards, using (I'm pretty sure, although my research isn't finished yet) identical dummies.

So much for that Free Trade thing, eh?

KathyO

Joyjoy
01-11-2002, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the info. The Bay does sell it for about $113 US Dollars. It's too bad that US residents can't use Canadian seats. I know that Canada's safety regulations are usually stricter that the US. Oh well, I guess I'll get a Century seat.

cmfurness
01-21-2002, 06:24 PM
After mounds of research on combo seats, I am getting the Century Next Step MX or DX because my 2.5 year old is less than thirty pounds and her little sister needs her Britax RA. I am not thrilled with it. I was trying it out at BRU - the front harness adjuster will never be as nice as the Britax RA but I am afraid I do not have a choice.

Have you thought of any other options?

Meredith

strollerqueen
01-22-2002, 03:50 AM
I just bought and installed the Evenflo APollo. I'm pretty happy with it, and so is my DD. It was quite easy to install and adjust the straps, plus it has EPS foam, like my Britax did.:) :o :7 :-) :D }>

hipmaman
01-27-2002, 11:51 PM
All those FP seats on ebay are mostly from Canada (if not all). They are perfectly new in boxes, never been used, etc. They are also the exact same seat as those made in the US, except they are only certified for use in Canada only (as tests are different in both countries). This makes them illegal to use in the US (as it would a US-certified seat used in Canada).

I checked the prices of some of those seats on ebay and am disgustingly appalled. I can get the same seats in a department store without any discount in Canadian dollars (which equals 0.6USD) for the same price (and most often less) than what they are asking as the starting bid on ebay.

If I am not ethical, I could really make some quick bucks. But, a regular mom/dad might not know about the legality (or non there of) the use of non-US certified seats in the US.

I am appalled at these people who are taking advantage of the high-demand and short-supply of these FP seats in the US and try to make a few quick bucks. These seats are still available in many Canadian stores. They are not even gray-market items. They are legit seats, but unfortunately only in Canada.

There is my 2 cents from a digusted Canadian mom.

joyjoy
01-29-2002, 04:16 PM
Thanks for your input. I felt the same way about the situation on ebay. I'm glad I checked into the car seat further to find out the true value of the seat and the legal issues surrounding it. I guess our shopping motto should always be "BUYER BEWARE."

Thanks again from an American mom!

C&E's Mom
02-03-2002, 09:35 AM
The information regarding the illegality of using the Grow with Me seats from Canada was enlightening. Does anyone know what the illegality really means (aside from the fact the it IS illegal)? Is there any danger of any type to the child? I understand that the seats are certified for use in Canada, not the US, but it appears that these are the exact same seats that we would buy in the States if they were available. We have been looking for MONTHS and have not found any seat that comes close to the Grow With Me in terms of features, fit and safety, so I would be thrilled to be able to obtain the Grow With Me , even at an inflated price off the auction boards. Any thoughts on the illegality issue are appreciated. :)

KathyO
02-03-2002, 02:21 PM
I suggest you re-post this question to the Baby Bargains board, in the car seat forum. Toby McAdams, the car seat technician who monitors that forum, can give you the exact legal implications. She can possibly also recommend one or two of the new crop of toddler/booster seats that have come out this year - some of them look fairly promising in the areas you mention.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it (go with an illegal Canadian seat), but as a woman who is going past the arbitrary Canadian rear-facing limit (20lbs) on her Britax seat, I can't throw stones!

KathyO

P.S. - If you absolutely insist on going ahead with this (and I reiterate that I don't think it's a good idea), drop me a message here and I'll see if I can obtain one at retail price for you, and we can work out a mailing arrangement. I refuse to help enrich the scalpers on eBay on this one.

hipmaman
02-04-2002, 12:11 AM
If you are caught using an 'illegal' seat in either country, you can be heavily fined, demerit points, etc. But the insurance company can refuse any liability should you be in an accident.

Of course, the more important issue is the safety of the child when the carseat is not used as designed, tested and approved. In this case, the seat happens to be identical in both countries and passed both standards. But for example, the Century booster/carseat are not the same and have a higher weight limit for use with the 5 point harness in Canada. The other example, tether system has been law in Canada for years, whereas it is recommended in the US. Only in recent years that seats are manufactured with tether anchors for use in the US, as well as Canada.

If you insist on going this course, just make sure you know all the legal consequences, as well as possible technical differences. Hope that helps.

Dawn
02-21-2002, 03:06 PM
I have the same problem, a two year old that is 40 lbs. There is a 5 point harness from Britax that goes up to 80 lbs. It is the Britax Super Elite. Demand is high, not available until April. To view go to Britaxusa.com

tobymc
02-22-2002, 11:27 AM
You sound like a perfect candidate for the Super Elite. Since your child is not even 3, let alone 3 /12 to 4, you really need the 5 point harness, and the Super Elite is just about the only seat available now to serve that need (there was the FP Futura, but it has been discontinued).

Even though the SE is not very available in stores yet, a number of stores are getting shipments, faster now that Britax has its second "tool" up and running. I recommend calling several stores and getting on waiting lists. Most of the stores that are getting the seat are able to fill them in a few weeks now.

If you need help finding a store that is taking orders, hop on over to http://boards2.parentsplace.com/cgi-bin/boards/carseats. Lots of folks got on a lot of waiting lists, and now are getting calls.

Toby

joyjoy
02-25-2002, 11:34 PM
Do you think the Britax SE is the best seat? Do you have any other recomendations?

Does anybody know whether the Britax SE is compatable with the Dodge Grand Caravan 2nd row (2 person) bench seat? Would there be enough room to put another car seat next to it?

Thanks for your help!

tobymc
02-26-2002, 10:07 AM
As I said, if your child is less than say 3 1/2, and already over 40 pounds, I think the Super Elite is a great choice.

If your child is over say 3 1/2, and still 35 pounds or less, you can go with a "combo" seat like the Evenflo Apollo, Evnflo Express, the Graco CarGo (choose one with a front adjuster), the Century Breverra Ascend, or the Century Next Step DX.

Check the database for the Grand Caravan (www.carseatdata.org) and see if I've got anything listed. Or come by the PP carseat board (link listed above) and ask. Lots of folks there have the seat.

Toby