PDA

View Full Version : Booster Seats

Julie
02-24-2002, 02:25 PM
We just saw the brand new Cosco Summit High Back Booster at Babies R Us. They had sold out so we took a raincheck. It costs about $99 and fits kids 22 lbs up to 100 lbs (which is the highest weight of any seat on the market). The salesperson told us that the Department of Transportation two weeks ago gave this seat its highest rating. It seems great (we are waiting for one now). Our daughter is 3 years old, 36 pounds, and 38 1/2 inches and looked great in the seat. It has a 5 point harness plus can be used with a regular seat belt. The back is easily adjustable to let the 5 point harness move to one several positions to be in the right position for your child. Also a plus is that the arm rests fold up and down (for when an older child is buckling himself/herself in, and it has a cup holder (which my daughter is very excited about). Also, the biggest plus is that the "feed" for the regular seat belt shoulder strap lets the seat belt work the way it is supposed to, instead of "locking" the shoulder strap in place. This was a big concern of Consumer Reports in its July 2001 issue on car seats. I just looked online and can't find the seat yet anywhere, so your best bet is Babies R Us for now.

tobymc
02-26-2002, 09:53 AM
I have not seen this seat yet, but it did look good. The question/concern I have may be groundless, but if you get one, perhaps you can check it out for me. The other Cosco seats with harnesses all can be used up to 40 pounds (like this one) but have relatively low top harness slots. You daughter will outgrow this harness at either 40 pounds or when he shoulder get taller than the top set of harness slots. I don't know yet if Cosco managed to get the top set of harness slots higher.

The Century, Graco and Evenflo combo seats all have higher top harness slots, around 17", compared to 15" for most convertibles, and all other Cosco seats.

The top set of harness slots on this seat can't be used for the harness, just to get the head rest high enough for the booster mode, but if you could measure from the bottom of the seat (where your daughter rests her butt) to the top harness slot, I'd love to hear what you find.

Toby

starfish1995
03-15-2002, 04:55 PM
Toby,

I wrote Coscoand they told me that once a child reached 40" they should use the shoulder belt, not the harness on the Summitt Booster. But I still don't know the specific number of inches from the seat to the top harness slot. Do you?

I would really like to get this seat because it has a 3-position recline that is easy to do from the front. Great for a sleeping preschooler! No more head falling forward! I bought the Apollo but my son's head falls forward when he goes to sleep.

tobymc
03-15-2002, 05:46 PM
I still have not seen this one in person, so I'm not sure about the slot heights. If you see it before you buy it, you can look at other seats and compare.

Definitely let me know what you think. I've heard from several other folks who've tried it, and none have been wild about it, but the "best" seat for you is the one that fits your child, your car, and which you can use correctly every time. And that might be different than the best seat for someone else.

Toby

starfish1995
03-22-2002, 05:49 PM
Toby,

I measured the distance from the seat to the highest slot height, and you are correct - it is only 15". So once your child reaches 40", they would need to use the seatbelt with this carseat. Otherwise it lokks like a very nice booster seat. Love that front-adjustable easy to recline feature!

Beth