PDA

View Full Version : Booster seat for air travel

Julie Moore
04-10-2002, 01:03 PM
I will be flying with my 2-year old this summer by myself. Our regular car seat is a bit bulky to be carrying through airports, etc. I would like to buy a booster seat that we will be able to use after she outgrows her current seat and take the booster seat on the plane. I will need one that can be used with a 5-point harness down to 20 pounds. Any suggestions?

tobymc
04-16-2002, 01:29 PM
The Evenflo Express or Graco CarGos (Ultra or Grand, skip the Treasured) cost about $59, and all three have front adjusters. The Treasured CarGo has a back adjuster. All three of these are good basic seats with higher harenss slots as well. None are too heavy. I think they both start at 20 or 22 pounds, but you'd have to check.

Another option is the Evenflo Apollo. I think it is a bit heavier. It has the basics, a front adjuster and higher harness slots, but also has some extras, like eps foam, and a knob to adjust the harness. It goes for around $99.

The other two choices are the Century Breverra Ascend or the Century Next Step DX.

Hope that helps.

Michelle Weisler
06-12-2002, 12:18 AM
Being June, this may be late for you....

Whatever you get, just be sure that the seat you will be taking on the airplane has the sticker on the side stating that it is FAA approved for use in an aircraft. I think that most of them are, now. However, there are some booster seats that are NOT FAA approved. Hate for you to get to the airport and not be able to use your carseat on the airplane.

Been there, done that (3 kids and an airline employee!)
--michelle

tobymc
06-12-2002, 10:52 AM
If you buy a new seat, the only tricky thing about "airline approved" seats is the booster issue. "Booster" seats, that require a lap/shoulder belt, are not permitted to be used on airplanes. That is sort of obvious - no shoulder belts. No boosters or vests are allowed.

But many boosters are really combo seats: they are both boosters and forward facing harnessed seats. And in harness mode, the seat is allowed.

So one seat IS allowed in harnessed mode, and IS NOT allowed without the harness.

But always check for the sticker anyway. Then you'll know where it is.