PDA

View Full Version : "Neck pillow" for sleeping in carseat/booster?

stampmom
04-18-2002, 12:44 PM
I'm wondering if Toby or anyone else knows anything about the safety of having your child use one of those pillows that fits around your neck (like those marketed for air travel) in their carseat or booster? It seems like a relatively common problem to have a carseat or booster that meets your needs in most respects, but isn't very comfortable for sleeping. I'm just wondering whether those neck pillows would be a solution to that problem.

Also, if this is a safe option, does anyone know how well they really work, in terms of comfort? And has anyone seen them sized for children?

TIA!
Dawn
Mommmy to Adam 6/98
Jeremy(?) expected 7/02

tobymc
04-19-2002, 10:30 AM
I certainly understand the problem. My son hardly ever sleeps in the car, but for Easter we traveled all day, and he napped in the car. We ended up holding up his head through his whole nap!

I don't know how well those travel pillows work. I do know that you don't want to put anything behind the child's head or neck. So if you can wrap the pillow around the front of the child's neck, that would be OK. Or on the side of the head.

If you do try it, let us know what works!

stampmom
04-19-2002, 10:47 AM
Thanks, Toby! I'm glad I asked, since I didn't realize I couldn't put anything behind his neck (although now that I think about it, it makes sense). I may see if it will work to put the pillow around the front of his neck, but he may not like that -- I can imagine how it might feel like something is choking you.

I'll be sure to post if I end up finding a pillow and trying it!

Dawn
Mommy to Adam 6/98
Jeremy(?) expected 7/02

suzska
04-19-2002, 08:06 PM
I have the "Bucky" pillow, and they do make a kids version (although I can't say how well it works):

http://www.bucky.com/product/junior.htm

You could try a web search with "Bucky pillow kids" or "Bucky pillow junior" or something like that to find sites that sell them. That's how I found this link.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

skeeter7218
09-04-2002, 07:06 PM
>I bought one of those for my 2.5 y.o.. She naps quite frequently during long trips, I usually put it in the front or on the side of her neck and it does a pretty good job of keeping her head up and not making her neck sore. She seems to sleep longer when it is on, because her head is not bouncing around as much. Good Luck. :)