PDA

View Full Version : Booster seat

Cheryl
05-22-2002, 08:09 AM
Hi. Toby I'm new to this board but based on my reading this may be a question for you:

My parents want to purchase their own car seat for our daughter. Up to now they have just always used ours which is a Britax RA. My daughter is almost 2 1/2 years old, approx. 32 lbs. She was 36" tall at her last doctor's visit. Her shoulders are not past the top slot in the Britax RA so this seat is still fine for us. I don't want to recommend a $200 seat for my parents occassional use and I also am not sure that a convertible seat is the way to go b/c I figure she will be outgrowing it soon. It seems like since my parents are just now getting around to buying a seat that they should go with one of those combo boosters that will take her up to 80 lbs. or so.
If they do go with a convertible I would probably have them get the Century Accel which is our secondary seat for my husbands car.

But if they go for the booster seat, which is the best for her at this weight, height, etc.? After reading some on this board it seems that the convertible seats are safer and more secure for younger toddlers. It seems like some of the recommendations are to stick with the convertible seat until they hit the 40lb mark. And if my parents purchase the booster seat they would have it on hand for the next grandchild and want to start using it at 30 lbs b/c that is what some of the seats say, but is that the best?

So should I recommend they go ahead and get the convertible seat (b/c based on some comments on this board my daughter could be 4 before she outgrows it) & just have them get a booster seat later?? Or is there a booster seat out there that would work for my parents needs?

Thanks for any help.
Cheryl

tobymc
06-05-2002, 01:11 PM
Here is my reply from the carseat board: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID6/714.html.