PDA

View Full Version : 3 year old and 1 year old

2jjs Mom
06-06-2002, 07:57 AM
Hello,

I have a 3 year old who is 35 pounds. He is currently in a Roundabout. He has a little brother who is turning 1 in 2 months. I think he will be 20 pounds soon so I know we can put him forward facing when he is 1 and he meets the weight requirements. My question: I think I will give the baby the Roundabout...but then what should I put the 3 year old in? I was looking at the Britax Starriser Comfy. Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

tobymc
06-06-2002, 08:48 AM
Difficult question.

The easy part is that yes, you should put the baby in the RA. You can keep him rear facing until he reaches 30 pounds or until his head is within an inch of the top of the seat. The minimums are 12 months and 20 pounds, but rear facing is FAR safer, and the RA will allow you to do that awhile yet.

Now, how about the 3 year old. Probably the best thing for him is to get a combo seat. That will keep him in a harness for another 5 pounds or so, at which time he'll be 4 or more, a better age to go to a booster. Try the Evenflo Apollo, or the Evenflo Express. Any combo seat with higher harness slots and a front harness adjuster that you both like and can use properly will do. Skip the Cosco combo seats since none of them (including the Summit) have the higher hanress slots.

The down side to this is that kids tend to like, in the long run, the plain boosters better than the combo seats turned into boosters. But 5 pounds can take a long time to gain at this age, so this seems like a better choice for him than going right to a booster.

2jjs
06-06-2002, 01:24 PM
Thank you for the information. I will look at the Evenflo models you mentioned. Thanks again!