PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 3rd seat

raffelsmith
07-13-2002, 11:51 PM
Does anyone know if the "3rd seat" in a volvo (rear-facing, in the back part of the wagon) is considered safe? Can you put a booster seat into it? Are there height and weight restrictions? With two kids and their friends, we're needing more space than our volvo wagon has, so we're considering putting in a 3rd seat. Thanks for your help. You can email me at [email protected]

tobymc
07-17-2002, 10:47 AM
Well, it is considered safe and it isn't. The biggest problem is that you can't use any booster seats or regular car seats since all of them require forward facing vehicle seats. They've only been tested that way, and you really don't want your child to be the test dummy. And most of these 3rd row seats have weight/height limits that arent' too high. So some 8-10 year olds fit well without the booster, but are still under the limit, but that really limits their usefulness. But ask Volvo what they say. Oh, and there are some concerns that some rear cargo areas are not structurally made to be passenger compartments. Ask them about that too.

I know what you mean about extra kids, though. Perhaps it is time to start looking into a mini-van. Sometimes my family really hates owning a minivan, with worse gas milage and a larger shape to park and all, but with all the kids we transport now and again, we really need it. You might too.