PDA

View Full Version : Belt position on child..

Leafa
07-23-2002, 09:39 PM
Hi...

We just installed our new Britex (not sure which one off hand I think it's the RA) car seat for my son. He's a little guy 16 months and 31 inches tall and just 21 pounds. My problem is that when I put him in the car seat and adjust the belts it appears that the lap portion rides very low.. across his legs not his pelvic... and the upper portion of the belt cuts across his neck every time I pull it tight. Am I doing something wrong.. or is this just not the right seat for him? Do you have any ideas or comments? I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thank you so much!

Second question.. also looking for a more inexpensive option for DH's car... it will only be used occationally but most likely for longer trips so it needs to be comfortable.

God bless,
Leafa

tobymc
07-24-2002, 09:36 AM
It sounds like you've got your little guy forward facing. Try fliping him around rear facing. Then he'll fit the harness differently. You can also choose the slot at or BELOW his shoulders (the manual says at or slightly above, though standard advice is at or slightly below, so I've concluded that slightly above OR below is fine, whichever fits best). That should help with the fit around his neck. It might help with the fit of the lap part too.

As for a second seat, I often recommend the Century Accel. The Graco Comfort Sport is the same seat but includes latch hooks for an extra $10, which is a pretty good deal. But if you are using the other car for long trips, you might want to just move the RA. It is really the most comfortable thing out there, because of the eps foam covered with comfort foam covered with such a cushy pad.

You'll find more info on carseats over at the Baby Bargains carseat board too.

Leafa
07-24-2002, 09:07 PM
Hi Toby,

Thank you so much for the response... your right he is facing front. I'll have to get DH to turn him back around. I'm not sure how he will react if we turn him backwards again.. I guess we can try and if he puts up a fuss - just deal with it LOL.

Thanks for the advice on the second car seat. It would mostly be for occational quick trips and once or twice a year longer trips. I hate to keep moving a car seat all the time so I think I'd rather buy a second one (rather than move the RA).

That strap just didn't seem right to me! Thanks again for the info... I really appreciate it!

God bless,
Leafa

tobymc
07-25-2002, 01:22 PM
You probably do want the second seat for the quick trips, but for the once or twice a year longer trips you still might want to move the RA. It just seems so much more comfortable for the child. But see how you like them. It is fine to use the Accel on long trips too.