PDA

View Full Version : Evenflo Apollo question for Toby

Sniffer
07-30-2002, 09:29 AM
We just bought a Passat Wagon, much roomier than our old car, and now I'm looking to upgrade from the Touriva we were using, since we're no longer constrained to small-ish car seats. I'm most interested in a combo seat, and I thought the Evenflo Apollo might be a good choice, as I've seen several posts from Toby stating that it's pretty good. I'd love for Toby or anybody else to address a couple of questions I've formulated as I've looked into it:
(1) Didn't Consumer Reports' caution against using it as a booster? Apparently, the car belts can slacken if the child leans forward and the slack remains even when the child sits back again. Is this caused by error in putting the child in, or is it a defect in the design of the car seat? So what do you make of Consumers' warning?
(2) If I use the LATCH retrofit kit while the seat is used as a car seat, do I then discontinue LATCH when I use the seat as a booster later on?
(3) Any thoughts on the sleeping comfort of this seat?

On another note, I am wondering about the safety of what seems to be a nifty gadget in the One-Step-Ahead catalog. I think it's called a Taby Tray -- acts as a sort of activity tray for a car seat. It's secured by a strap that threads underneath the car seat from side to side and that you tighten to keep the tray from moving. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you!

Sniffer
07-31-2002, 09:18 AM
Aha - I just read on the other board that Toby's on vacation, so my question must wait a while, unless anybody else wants to give an opinion.... Just found a few other posts about the Taby Tray, so no need to address that issue. Thanks!

alandenisefields
08-01-2002, 11:36 AM
Hi there.

Yes, Toby is on vacation. So let us try to answer this---we WILL recommend the Apollo in our new TODDLER BARGAINS book as one of the best combo booster seat options.

As for the CR article, I don't think CR tested the Apollo in their last tests, as it came out after that.

As for LATCH, you WILL use it while using the Apollo as an harnessed seat; then you stop using LATCH when you use the seat in booster mode.

hope that helps,
Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

check out our new book at www.ToddlerBargains.com!

tobymc
08-07-2002, 02:20 PM
I'm back now, so here's MY opinion!

I do like the features on the Apollo - they seem to work well.

The Consumer Reports article is a good reminder to watch that shoulder belt in the booster mode. In my experience, it IS sometimes an issue, in some cars. But in most cars, it isn't. So just watch it in your car. Make sure the shoulder belt always stays snug on your child, and only use the shoulder belt adjuster if you really need it. Many kids are tall enough, and the shoulder belts low enough, that they aren't even needed.

JakesMom
08-25-2002, 08:59 AM
I sent my parents to get the Evenflo Apollo based on the board's and the Fields' recommendations, since they wanted a toddler seat to use when they care for my son. However, when they went to Babies-R-Us last week, they were told it was discontinued. They got the Comet-5 (?) by Evenflo instead. Any thoughts on that one? Does anyone know about it?

Thanks!
JakesMom
Chicago

tobymc
08-26-2002, 10:25 AM
I think the Comet is the name for the Apollo with Latch, but it might be the Evenflo Express with latch. Actually, it is probably the Express. That is fine. It is an OK seat too. The Express doesn't have the special features like the eps foam, and Memory Harness, and knob to adjust the harenss. So if you do have those, then it is the Apollo with latch.