PDA

View Full Version : Extra carseat for car-pooling

kickidee
08-06-2002, 01:26 PM
I have a question ... I am going to be car-pooling my preschooler in a couple weeks, and I was wondering if you know of any good, smaller-sized carseats or boosters [although he is only ~26 lbs and ~36" so I think he might be too small for a booster?] that I can buy to fit easily into another car? I hate the idea of having to lug my behemoth of a carseat [a Fisher-Price Safe Embrace] in and out of my car each time, and it's not the easiest thing to belt in. A smaller one made with that purpose in mind would be great, but I don't know of any.
What age / size does he need to go into a booster in my own car?
THANKS!!!!

tobymc
08-07-2002, 02:23 PM
What weight and age is your child? What seat are you using now? That will help a lot in helping you find the right smaller seat for carpooling.

kickidee
08-07-2002, 03:06 PM
My son turned 3 in February, but he's only about 27lbs and 36". I currently have the Fisher-Price Safe Embrace seat.
Thanks for any help!

tobymc
08-08-2002, 07:35 AM
It would be good if your son stayed in a harness until a full 40 pounds before moving to a belt positioning booster.

So what I recommend is buying a combo seat. Those have a harness that goes to 40 pounds AND turn into a booster afterwards.

With combo seats, you want to choose one with higher harness slots (rules out Cosco) and a front harness adjuster.

Try the Evenflo Express, or the Graco Ultra or Grand CarGos. Any of these three meet those criteria, all are about $59, and all are lighter than the seat you've got now. The Express has more padding. The CarGos have deeper side sleeping wings.