PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used the Portable Car Seat?

Helen
08-11-2002, 01:24 PM
"One Step Ahead" catalogue is selling a product called "Tote and go Portable Car Seat"
http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1363&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=1363) which they claim is good for travelling or for an extra passenger. Although not FAA approved, I was thinking of using it for when we travel, rather than carrying around a bulky car seat, and for a potential car pool situation now that my son is starting preschool.

Any thoughts?

tobymc
08-12-2002, 08:32 AM
I've got one and I'm evaluating it. Know that it has no side protection. It is also (so far in my testing) difficult to adjust properly. The instructions tell you to adjust it to fit the child outside the car, then remove from child and install in your car. So it isn't really a quick solution and won't convert from child to child fast. It says that you can use it until the child's ears are at the top of the seat back, but standard practice says the harness shouldn't be above the child's shoulders, which may happen significantly before 40 pounds.

So for now, I'm still recommending a regular bulkly carseat, though in certain situations this may be the right thing. Some carseats are lighter and narrower than others, check my website, www.carseatdata.org under measurements.

jenive
09-06-2002, 08:48 PM
I bought this when we moved to NYC. Thought it would be an alternative to an unrestrained child in a taxi. It is not a very convenient piece of equipment. It is almost impossible to install securely. I have yet to feel secure with it. It is better than unrestrained, (I hope) but if you have ANY other option-use it instead!

Andrea
10-07-2002, 08:40 PM
I bought this to use for travel since I was tired of lugging a car seat through the airport! Unfortunately, the reason it is NOT FAA approved is because it is not able to be secured using the seatbelt found on airplanes...tried it and watched my two year old consistantly slid forward off the seat. We took it off midflight and have just used the regular seatbelt on the flight...

It is compact and can fit in my carryon bag or the front zipped compartment of my checked luggage...I do use it in taxis <not quickly installed> and in my parents car when we visit them and that seems to work well.

I do enjoy not having to lug a huge car seat around when we travel, but we now have to deal with our 2 yr old wanting to get out of his seat on flights and can easily remove the seatbelt...so its a trade-off!

Hope that answers your question.
AndreaB in Dallas, TX

tobymc
10-11-2002, 03:04 PM
FAA regs do not allow vests and harnesses to be used on planes. Something about not having a rigid back (though the Tote'n Go does) and bottom and the breakaway seats in airplanes. So I'm glad you've moved to using a regular carseat. I'm rather surprised they even let you do it, but flight attendants get VERY little cps training.