PDA

View Full Version : Airway questions (and more)

NC Momma
08-27-2002, 07:54 PM
Call me a car seat fanatic but I am always reading up on the subject opn various sites and bulletin boards. In terms what I have my 14 month old is a RA (which I love, I splurged and bought for him but wish I had for my oldest a few years ago). My oldest (4 1/2 tall but thin - only about 34 pounds) is in a Cherished Cargo now. I'm considering maybe upgrading his seat (my husband thinks I'm crazy). I'm sure once I get my copy of the Toddler Bargains book (hopefully in the mail this week!!) I may be even more tempted to look at options!

Anyway, I'm thinking of the Laptop as it is quite portable and depending on how we transport him to kindergarten next Fall it has options for the bus etc. (not sure though if I do get one if it will be a primary seat or more of a backup seat). I want to find a way to try one since I know some kids don't like the design. I also worry a little about him being lower in terms of seeing out of the car (especially since his brother is way up in a RA).

I'm also quite curious about the new Airway. I've seen some pictures info on the Parents Place board and I think it comes out soon in the US. The price seems great (especially compared to Britax - the Marathon is not really an option price wise) plus it will allow him to be harnessed a long time (though I know peer pressure may kick in soon once he starts school). Toby and the Fields have either of you seen one in person yet? Is it a good seat? Does it tether (I have older cars so no LATCH but we have installed tethers)? Are car seats like cars and the first model year may have problems (i.e. should I wait)?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone out there has!!

tobymc
08-28-2002, 07:56 AM
I hate to say it, but I think you are mostly in good shape right now. As you said, the only thing you might want now is a Laptop, and probably just for backup.

Since your 4 1/2 year old is still well under 40 pounds, the CarGo is very likely to hold him until he is ready for the booster. So you don't really need the Airway.

Apparently I saw an Airway prototype a year ago last June at a conference, but I don't really remember it. I suspect it will be a lot like the Safety Baby combo seat I've got (the Speedway). Basically, it will be a low end but effective seat. So it won't have the bells and whistles of the Britax seats, but it will do the job. A lot like the Cosco seats. But the price is certainly appealing. The Airway will use a tether, and will also come with latch attachments. It will, of course, also work with the seat belt system.