PDA

View Full Version : update on marathon?

c l mom
09-08-2002, 02:37 PM
I was recently in a minor accident with no injuries (thankfully!) and no apparent damage to either of our little ones' carseats. However, our insurance company is going to replace our carseats for us. Our 3 yr old is right at 40 lbs and we were just about ready to replace her Britax Roundabout. She sleeps well in the car on longer trips, which we take regularly, and I do think she needs more than the belt positioning booster, with her curiosity about life and her independent streak. Based on what I've read in other messages, I'm leaning toward the Britax Marathon. Do you know if it's available yet? I can't find it on any website, including Britax's. Would you recommend anything else instead?
Also, our second child is two (28 mos) and closer to 30 lbs. Would it make sense to buy the Marathon for him, too, or would you recommend something else?
If it helps to have this information, we're driving a Nissan Quest minivan, with both car seats on captain's chairs. The Roundabout has been great.

Thanks so much for your input.

tobymc
09-09-2002, 08:53 AM
The Marathon IS on the Britax web site, even with the updated list of fabrics.

It is NOT out in any store yet. I'm hoping it will show up next week. I bet it will in some places, though we'll see if it is in my town! But my BRU said that they've got a big order to their warehouse, and you can do a special order thing to request one for YOU from their warehouse once they come in. So I'd call your BRU and talk to them, and make them look things up on their computer.

Even though your seats LOOK OK, you shouldn't use them. I saw some just the other day that looked perfect, but had been through a big crash. They are safety gear - designed to take one big crash.

The Roundabout just got certified rear facing up to 33 pounds, so if your younger child is still less than an inch from the top of the seat, you can stick with rear facing! But I think a Marathon would be a good choice for you. You can use it with your older child for a year or two, then move that child to a booster and put the younger one in the Marathon. If you can find one quick.

IansMom04
09-10-2002, 06:55 PM
Hi
I am glad that you are all ok. We had a similar situation recently.. in a car accident.. my son was in his Roundabout that was properly installed and he was 100% fine.. the responding firefighter had me go to the firehouse the next day and took my Roundabout away to be destroyed.. we were given a brand new Evenflo car seat at no charge. He said that any car seat, in any type of accident should not be use anymore.. no matter how minor the accident...it might look ok but why take the chance??

Did you get all seat belts that were in active use certified by your car dealer??

Helen
09-12-2002, 09:13 PM
What does "BRU" Stand for?

>It is NOT out in any store yet. I'm hoping it will show up
>next week. I bet it will in some places, though we'll see if
>it is in my town! But my BRU said that they've got a big
>order to their warehouse, and you can do a special order
>thing to request one for YOU from their warehouse once they
>come in. So I'd call your BRU and talk to them, and make
>them look things up on their computer.

ct
09-13-2002, 02:06 PM