PDA

View Full Version : Combination seat for 3yr old twins -Evenflo Apollo in a Jeep

Chris Rosen
09-12-2002, 09:43 AM
My 39 month old twins have outgrown their Britax RA seats but are only 35 pounds. I've read good things about the Evenflo Apollo but know that Consumer Reports had some issues with the shoulder belt guide. I've been told by a State Trooper that Jeep Grand Cherokees do not have a truely locking seatbelt due to an exemption obtained by Crysler. Would you recommend this seat? If not, what would you recommend? My kids are tall- 38 and 41 inches and I want the seat to last.

tobymc
09-16-2002, 10:44 AM
A lot of families really like this one. So I'd try it. See what your children think of it, and how it fits in your car. Any stores, like BRU, let you try seats in your car without buying. My friend who has one did say that it took her some time to get used to the way it works, but after she did, she loved it, even compared to her RA.

I bet the Grand Cherokees have what I call a cinching latchplate. They do hold many carseats tightly. With others, the latchplate sits such that it does not hold tightly. In that case, you have to use the metal locking clip found on the back of the seat.

Check also how the belt guide will do in your car. This type of guide works well in some cars, but does tend to get stuck and allow slack in others.

Check my website, www.carseatdata.org, or read the Field's booster report, to get the full listing of combo seats that I think do the job well. But the Apollo is one of them.