PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Britax Starriser Comfy

mom2boys
09-19-2002, 11:59 AM
After doing a lot of reading on this board and also using the Fields' report on booster seats, I decided to purchase the Britax Starriser Comfy for my 3 1/2 year old son. He is about 36 pounds, but is quite tall (41-42 inches) and has grown out of his Britax RA.

I was really on the fence about buying the Starriser right now, because my son could still fit into one of the harnessed combo booster seats (until 40 pounds). Honestly though, I didn't really love any of the combo seats on the market once they become belt positioning boosters...I really wanted a booster with the open loop design for the shoulder belt.

So, we brought the Starriser home and have been using it for a few days. The one thing I have noticed is that my son tends to lean to the side away from the shoulder belt (usually so that he can get a better view out the front window in the van). When he does this, the shoulder belt falls off his shoulder slightly and rests on his upper arm.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, and more importantly, when this happens, does that mean that my son is not belted into the car safely? Any advice would be appreciated!

alandenisefields
09-20-2002, 11:26 AM
I hear you---we have to constantly remind our boys to sit in their booster seats (and not lean out of the seat to reach for a toy, look out the window, etc). I don't think this is a flaw of the seat, just one of those "parental" things you have to deal with!

Hope that helps,
Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS * TODDLER BARGAINS

tobymc
09-20-2002, 12:51 PM
I saw this very same thing with my son last night in our Recaro Start. I agree with the Fields - it is just something that you have to work with and help your son learn. He is properly protected by the shoulder belt when it is resting about half way between his shoulder and his neck. This is one reason that boosters are not recommended for younger children. But even older ones tend do it. Heck, I do too, but I try not to.