PDA

View Full Version : May need to upgrade carseats

MommyToA
09-29-2002, 04:18 PM
We use a COSCO Triad (w/LATCH) for our son who recently turned two (31lbs, 39inches tall)in our 01 Honda Accord. I am worried that he is reaching the height limit and wondering if we need to upgrade. I want to purchase something big and sturdy for his safety, but am not sure if a full fledged car seat is the way to go - maybe a Britax booster? - We are also looking for a great infant car seat for our baby due next spring. I was thinking of the Britax Roundabout. Any suggestions for both seats would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

tobymc
09-30-2002, 08:03 AM
You should be OK with the Triad for a bit more. I think it states that it has a 40" limit, but in most cases, I think it works better to look at your son's shoulders and the top of his ears. After all, some kids are tall with long legs, but others are tall with a long torso. So I suggest making sure that your son's shoulders are not above the top harness slot and that his ears are not above the top of the seat.

So for now I'm guessing you can stick with the Triad. I wouldn't want to see a child move to a regular booster at age 2. I think children should be at the very least 3 1/2, and preferably 4-5. Maybe you could get a Marathon and use it for your 2 year old now, putting the baby in the Triad (or infant seat then Triad). When your oldest is 4-5, you can move the baby to it, and get a regular booster for your oldest. Just an idea.

MommyToA
09-30-2002, 09:11 AM
Thanks for your advice. I was also looking into the Britax Husky (which is a regular car seat, right?). Is this seat worth purchasing over the Marathon? His shoulders are just at/almost above the top harness slot, but his ears are not yet above the top of the seat. I was hoping to keep him in the Traid until November/December when the Britax seats are available in our area.

tobymc
10-03-2002, 08:49 AM
The Husky is huge and wide and heavy. It does go to 80 pounds but must be tethered after 50.

I'd probably recommend the MA over the Husky. The MA is a more "normal" size of carseat, though it is still signifantly larger than the Triad. It is a bit "nicer", though both will be nicer than the Triad. And I think that your little guy will fit in the MA until age 4-5 still, though there IS more space in the Husky. But the Husky isn't available yet, and the MA is.

MommyToA
10-04-2002, 10:49 AM
Toby:

Thank you again for all of your advice. I feel like such an idiot when it comes to carseats. I went to BRU yesterday to check out the Marathon. It looks great, except I had one concern. His shoulders are at the next to last strap outlet. I know he will probably never exceed the weight limit, but is it worth buying the seat when there is only one slot left to grow into? This is probably normal, but at this price, I just want to make 100% certain that we get a lot of use out of it. My husband is a giant and it seems that our son is following in his footsteps.

Again, thank you so much for your help!!

tobymc
10-11-2002, 02:58 PM
Remember that he won't grow as fast in total height as torso height. So if he is at the 3rd set of slots, he's probably got over a year in the seat yet. But you'll have to make the call.