PDA

View Full Version : Booster for 5.5 year old

Tenny
10-01-2002, 02:04 PM
Hi!
My 5.5 year old is 40 inches and 34 pounds. She is still in a 5 point harness car seat, and I am looking for a booster. She is too light for a backless booster. I want a high back booster that has a five point harness. All the ones I have looked at say to not use the harness at 40 inches. I think the harness is much safer than using the seatbelt, but I am having a tough time finding what I am looking for. I would also prefer one that reclines, but if not I want one to at least has wings.
Can you help me?
Thanks!

tobymc
10-03-2002, 08:59 AM
There are several ways to determine if a child has reached the height limit in a forward facing harnessed seats.

1. Child's shoulders are above the top harness slot.
2. Child's ears are above the top of the shell.
3. Child has reached the stated height limit of the seat.

I generally tell folks to use the first two, and whichever one of those is exceeded first. The first two allow you to measure how well YOUR child fits in the seat, not the total height of an average child. As long as your child is below the stated weight limit of the seat, and is still below the top harness slots, it appears to me that that child will get good protection from the seat.

But you'll have to make the final call on that.

As for a combo seat that reclines, you can try the Cosco Summit, but it has lower top harness slots. You might also try the Graco Grand or Ultra CarGo, which have deep wings.

Tenny
10-03-2002, 08:04 PM
Thank you. I appreciate the information!
Tenny