PDA

View Full Version : LATCH retrofits

kickidee
10-16-2002, 12:21 PM
Does anyone know if there are any safety evaluations done on carseats that have been retrofitted for LATCH? I saw in Toys R Us that you can now buy not only the top rear latch, but also the side latch retrofits, and was wondering if they were safer to use on an old carseat [in a new car which IS fitted] than using the seatbelt? Could I use just the side latches without the rear top latch?
Thanks so much for any info!

tobymc
10-16-2002, 02:49 PM
In general, any car that has the proper LATCH lower anchors also has the top tether anchor. I'm not sure if there are any exceptions to this rule. I doubt it.

Many old seats can be retrofit with both the latch connectors AND the top tether. Remember that old seats should not be used for more than 6 years from the date of manufacture stamped on the seat. But there are a few seats made say back in 1997 or 1998 that would be worth retrofitting. And be sure that any retrofit kit is designed EXACTLY for the seat you've got. i.e. Cosco kit for Cosco seat, Graco/Century kit must list the specific seat you've got, etc.

Is latch safer? Generally is it simply easier to use the latch system than the seat belt system. Because they are easier to use, and use right, it is sometimes considered safer. But if you have a seat that you are using with the seat belt system just fine, you can continue doing that.

I always recommend using top tether straps (for forward facing harnessed seats). Those DO make the seat safer.