PDA

View Full Version : Weight limit for using 5 pt harness

Mom_2_Alyssa
12-01-2002, 12:40 PM
My four (almost five) year old is approaching the 40 lb mark. I have the Century Breverra Ascend SE and I am feeling a little uneasy about making the switch from the 5 pt harness to the shoulder belt (she seems much more secure it the harness and I am not happy with the way the shoulder belt adjuster clip works). Most of her classmates at her preschool have already made the switch and I have heard from some of the teachers and the director at her preschool that it may no longer be safe to have a child in the harness after they reach 40 lbs. Her height is still fine for the top slot of the 5 pt harness. Has anyone heard if it is a safety hazard to still use the 5 pt harness on these type of combo seats after 40 lbs?

Thanks!
Mom2Alyssa

uccomama
12-02-2002, 03:36 PM
You will definitely need to remove the harness once she reaches the 40 lb mark. Your seat is not certified for use with the harness for a child over 40 lbs. Your choices are using the Breverra Ascend as a belt positioning booster or buying a booster only, like the Graco Turbo Booster, the Komfort Krusier or the Britax Starriser/Comfy to name three of better ones on the market. If you wish to keep her harnessed over 40 lbs you might like to consider the Britax Husky (or Super Elite, the non LATCH version, if you can find one) which is a harness only seat from 22 to 80 lbs. I have a Husky for my just turned five year old for her main seat because she is still too wiggly for a booster full-time IMO. She does fine in a booster for shorter journeys though.

Deborah