PDA

View Full Version : Airway booster

Maureen
12-26-2002, 09:21 PM
I am so glad to have found this board, but almost feel no closer to purchasing a booster seat than before reading all the posts! Is the new Airway booster seat that I have seen mentioned, available yet? Who is making it and where can it be purchased?

I'm looking for a booster for my 27 month old daughter who weighs 30 lbs and is 35" tall. I drive a 2000 Ford Windstar and I really want her in a 5 point harness type of seat until she weighs 40 lbs.

After reading this board, I checked out the Britax Marathon, but was shocked at the sticker price, and the weight limit only goes to 65 pounds. I'd like to purchase something that can handle up to 80lbs. I haven't been able to find the Evenflo Apollo anywhere, nor any FIsherPrice Grow With ME, but did find the Evenflo Comet. It's 49.99, and now I'm worried it might not be built as well or as safe. Why is it so cheap and the other end so expensive. Can there be that much of a difference?
If anyone has any recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate them!

Thanks in advance!
Maureen

tobymc
12-31-2002, 10:58 AM
First, has your daughter outgrown her convertible? Most kids at that age/height have not. I'd recommend using her convertible until she outgrows it. Then you'll have a better idea what you need.

But perhaps you need a second seat or need to replace her convertible.

The simpliest option is to get a combo seat. The Evenflo Apollo was replaced by the Comet. The Apollo was $79, so it sounds like you are seeing a good deal on the Comet. It is lacking a feature or two on the Apollo, but is still a nice combo. The Fisher Price Grow With Me isn't being made (FP stopped making all carseats in spring, 2000).

The combo seat will allow your child to stay in the harenss to 40 pounds, then use the seat as a booster until she fits in the adult belts. Just make sure to get one with a front harness adjuster!

The Airway and Marathon both allow the harness to be used past 40 pounds: to 50 and 65 pounds respectively. This is nice because lots of kids are still just 3 or 3 1/2 when they hit 40 pounds. But others are 4-5 years old, and are pretty ready for boosters.

Hope that helps!

Tondi G
01-17-2003, 07:27 PM
The Airway is available at the Burlington Coat Factory!!!! Check out the website or check out a local store! Good Luck... it looks like a nice seat!