PDA

View Full Version : 39lbs Harness or BP?

marmatari
01-27-2003, 05:56 PM
My son will be 4yo in March; he is 40inches tall but I'm unsure of his exact weight- I believe it to be quite close to (within a lb or 2)40lbs.
Should I bite the bullet and remove the harness from his Century Breverra Ascend? If he is indeed 40lbs, does anyone know how unsafe he would be still in the harness as opposed to the bp? I have just switched him from the Britax RA which I LOVED- I'm nervous about using a different seat and seriously worried about the safety differences of harness vs. belt. Help!

tobymc
01-27-2003, 10:54 PM
I would hold out until you are sure he's 40 pounds, especially if your seat is tethered. The Canadian version of this seat, which appears to be basically the same, is rated to 48 pounds, but the tether is required. Thus, one could hypothesize that this seat would perform well to 48 pounds IF tethered.

All I'm suggesting is that you wait until you are sure your son is over 40 pounds before removing the harness. At not quite 4, he's still on the young side for a booster. But once he does hit 40, give the booster mode a try. Make sure the belt fits him well over his shoulder and hips, and that he can stay in position during the trip well.

marmatari
01-28-2003, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the seat is tethered and suprisingly, according to the scale at the peds office, he's only 35lbs! Hooray! I have a whole 5lbs to go before I have to worry about the lack of harness again. *lol*
Thanks again. I really appreciate this msg board- such a great tool!