PDA

View Full Version : Any feedback/experience with Cosco Summit???

Kate123
03-07-2003, 12:19 PM
I saw the Baby Bargains review, but this was the highest recommended convertable booster seat at my local "high end" baby store. I really liked the features....it's 5 point until 40 lbs then lap belt to 100 lbs.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Kathy

momathome
03-07-2003, 06:35 PM
I think this seat can best be classified as a good news/bad news seat. The good points - nice padding, tends to fit well in cars, open-loop pathways when being used as a belt-positioning booster, high weight limit. The bad points - the height of the slots for the 5 point harness is quite low (your child may be too tall for the harness even before reaching 40lbs), and, it's a Cosco, the king of baby product recalls. If you need a booster with a harness, the Evenflo Comet is a good choice. If you just need a belt-positioning booster, the Graco Turbo Booster or the Britax StarRiser Comfy are great choices. Good luck!
-Lauren

Kate123
03-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Thanks Lauren. I looked in the Toddler Bargains book regarding the Comet (Apollo) and also on Eopinions. There seems to be alot of complaints about the dial to tighten the harness? Also didn't they also say the Evenflo has the problem of slack when used with the belt positioner? These were the two things that were swaying me away from it. Any input on these points? (By the way, yes I do need a booster with a 5 point and I too am also concerned about the Summit as my child is tall!).

Kathy

momathome
03-08-2003, 10:40 PM
I'm pretty sure I heard, regarding the slack when using a seatbelt, that with the Evenflo seats, it doesn't seem to be a problem. This may be because, unlike some other seats, the slots used to position the belt are molded into the seat and not seperately attached. Truthfully, there really is not currently a combo booster out there right now that is perfect as both a harness and seat-belt positioner. What I ended up doing with my daughter was getting the Evenflo Express when she was 3 1/2 and getting too tall for the convertible to use with the harness - it was a good comfy booster that was easy to use and install. However, once she was 4 1/2 and ready for a belt-positioning booster, I bought the Britax StatrRiser Comfy, which rated tops in Consumer Reports for a belt-positioning booster. Another cheaper belt positioner but with similar features is the new Graco Turbo Booster, which looks like an almost exact replica of the Britax. I keep hoping befoe my 2 year-old is ready for a booster that Graco or Britax will take their terrific b-p-boosters and add a harness, too. I'm sorry if my 2 booster advice sounds kind of pricey, but for us, it was the best solution based on the seats that are currently available. Good luck!
-Lauren

Kate123
03-10-2003, 08:54 PM
: