PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Decide on Booster or Convertible/Booster

Moe
04-11-2003, 11:00 PM
We have a 4 year old son who will soon outgrow his carseat in height only. He is only 35 pounds. I am trying to decide between one of the boosters for 30+ pounds with good ratings by Consumer Reports, or a Britax Husky. Are the 5 point harness a real safety advantage over one of the high rated boosters? What I really want, of course, is the Fisher Price car seat/booster combo that was rated excellent by Consumer Reports, but is discontinued and I cannot find anyone with stock left. (Anyone know where I can still order a Fisher Price seat)???

CPSDarren
04-18-2003, 02:38 PM
5-point harnesses are very safe, especially for wiggly kids who tend to squirm around in seat belts or put the shoulder belt behind their back. Many kids are mature enough after 4 years old to sit properly in a booster, but this can vary. Boosters are also safe, but it is much easier for the child to squirm out of position and reduce their safety.

Be wary of the ratings in Consumer Reports. While it is one resource to consider, their testing and ratings are designed to sell magazines and don't give us much information as to exactly what the ratings mean ( http://www.car-safety.org/guide.html#cr )

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org

Nanny99
05-07-2003, 11:51 AM
Hi Moe...Hope this is not too late.

My granddaughter is 3 1/2 yrs old...41 inches tall...35 pounds.

I have a Britax Super Elite, but needed an additional carseat or two for other vehicles.

I purchased the Jupiter Komfort Kruiser....and am I satisfied.

Check out the booster report by Alan & Denise, and also the website featuring reviews by Toby McAdams...they love it.

I have a 1999 Honda Accord...my husband has a 2001 Honda CRV...my daughter has a Chrysler Van...another Grandparent has a 1989 Dodge Shadow, and our son-in-law has a Ford F150. The seat fits beautifully in all of these vehicles.

When I placed my original order for two....one was received cracked...I telephoned Jupiter Industries...they explained how the seat was effective even cracked...but, the company will from five years of date of purchase replace the seat...no questions asked, no shipping charges. Just keep your receipt...they require proof of purchase. Great Customer Service!

I purchased mine at Baby Universe, and had a $10 coupon...they have a flat shipping rate, of, I believe, $6.95...and do NOT charge for an oversized item. All in all, I spent about $90 for the seat.

My granddaughter loves the seat, and prefers it over the Britax Super Elite.

Nanny 99

Moe
05-10-2003, 12:18 PM
Thanks, Nanny. I just posted a new message above. No, I haven't purchased the new seats yet. The Komfort Kruiser is the one I am leaning toward in one vehicle for sure. Am still trying to decide between the Husky and the KK for our other vehicle.

peg
06-04-2003, 04:45 PM
For what it's worth, here's my two cents:
I use a Husky for my 4 year old daughter, but am thinking of either a Britax Star Riser Comfy or a Komfort Kruiser for my 29 month old son, who is currently in a Britax RA. (I have time, but he's getting heavy so the time to upgrade is coming!)

I would not buy another Husky for a few reasons. It is absolutely HUGE! The seat could only be installed in my vehicle using LATCH since my seatbelts were not long enough to install that way (the company did send advice about how to loop the belts in an alternative way since many vehicle seat belts were far too short.) A small annoyance, the seat belt connector pad constantly falls off (I don't even bother with it anymore - perhaps in the summer I will if the buckle gets hot.) It can't be used easily in another car, so we bought a cheaper seat for use in her friend's cars, there are no head supports for napping and her head is all over the place when she manages to sleep. And it was well over $200 (and I waited an extra 5 months to get it after paying, since they were converting the factory from the Super Elite to the Husky forever!)

Check out the Husky in a store before buying - pick it up and see if they'll let you try to fit it in your car before committing. It's a fine seat in other aspects, and I'm sure it is extremely safe since it is Britax, but I personally don't see the $230 price tag being worth it again.

Roni
06-25-2003, 08:17 AM
My daughter's pediatrician says that they should stay in a 5-pt. harness until 40 lbs. & 40 inches. (If that's true, I don't know why they make boosters that start at 30 lbs., but I'm going to go w/ the pediatrician on this one.) I'm anticipating that my dd (now 3, 36" & about 30 lbs.) will either outgrow her Roundabout by height before 40lbs. or will get kicked out by the new baby. I would also love the Fisher Price seat--please post if you find a source for more than one! There don't seem to be too many good choices for a combo seat. The best choice, according to Toddler Bargains, seems to be the Evenflo Apollo, but that has some issues.

Good luck!